Buzzer Of Doom

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chunksta
80-90 Mem No: 12514

Buzzer Of Doom

Post by Chunksta »

Guys,

I've heard of people talking of the buzzer that goes off when you have an oil pressure issue.

My oil light came on yesterday, which concerned me as I had already checked the oil level and all was good?

Where is this buzzer and should it have sounded when my oil light came on?

Atoomer23
80-90 Mem No: 14041

Re: Buzzer Of Doom

Post by Atoomer23 »

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you might find this helpful
I am currently having this, im going to put on a new oil pressure switch tomorrow and see if it stops.

Chunksta

Post by Chunksta »

Atoomer23 wrote:http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=810
you might find this helpful
I am currently having this, im going to put on a new oil pressure switch tomorrow and see if it stops.

Atoomer23,

Thank you, I will take a look today

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Chunksta wrote:My oil light came on yesterday, which concerned me as I had already checked the oil level and all was good?

Remember, the oil light (and buzzer if fitted) is NOT measuring the amount of oil in your engine, it is measuring the oil pressure. You can have virtually no oil in your engine but still have plenty of pressure (tho of course you should have the right amount in there !) If the light comes on it means one of three things, either an electrical fault (fingers crossed), a faulty sensor (not too bad a job) or a worn out engine :evil: Many folks, presented with this symptom, hold on in the hope it is one of the first two, when, often, it is the last :evil: Te easy way to check for that last, and most serious condition is to take it to a garage that is knowledgeable with older vehicles and ask them to do an oil pressure test. It will not be at all expensive and the results will tell if it is a simple fault or whether you need a new engine!

Chunksta wrote:Where is this buzzer and should it have sounded when my oil light came on?

That depends on what type of engine you have and what year your van is (you forgot to tell us ;))

p.s. :- lots of info in our "wiki" on this subject HERE
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's a 1986 MY on thing only so if your van is earlier than this it won't have bod circuit
pre 86 MY if the oil light comes on you have either a wiring issue or real low oil pressure which needs checking to find out which and remedy
what oil did you use and which brand oil filter ?

Chunksta

Post by Chunksta »

Aides,

Yeah, it's definitely 86 onwards, although when I check and cleaned the board, you can clearly see the tracks to feed the BOD on MY 85 board, anyway.

They are not stamped read for terminations, but they are on there.

Any, all fixed. The sensor was gammed up. A jolly good clean and all is good.

Not surprised. When I bought the bus, the sump plug was rounded off, so don't expect it had an oil change in yonks.

I think I'll treat her to a jolly good internal flush after seeing this!

Atoomer23
80-90 Mem No: 14041

Post by Atoomer23 »

Great news.
I fixed mine with fresh wiring and connections yesterday.