hero gopro

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

hero gopro

Post by scottbott »

just seen that gopro do a "cheap" basic camera for 100 quid,anyone got one and if so can it overwrite? or looping as gopro call it,had a look online and seen that the hero 3 and 4 overwrite but cannot see anything about the "hero",would make a good dashcam at that price
Nil carborundum illegitimi

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: hero gopro

Post by California Dreamin »

Not that I could justify the expence but I would love one of these mounted in a quadcopter to do aerial stuff...anyone on here lucky enough to have such a play thing.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

Got the go pro 3 black all I can say is brilliant,use it all the time. Like the thought of a quad copter
(might put on the x-mas list)
Easy to use and great video and pics.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Not Go-Pro quality, but this tiny copter is a cheap alternative.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hubsan-x4-min ... tAodA2gAyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

California Dreamin

Having done a bit of radio control stuff back in my teens (planes/cars and boats) I was wondering what the recommended KIT would be for such an aerial tool....what do the pro's or pro amateurs use to take a Go Pro including the live monitoring? wireless to a laptop?
I was in Olu Deniz last year for the paragliding world championships and there were several of these being used as the participants came in to land on the strip (for the final 20 seconds or so)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

I was chatting to a friend about quadcopters, a lot of them run without a live feed! this quite surprised me, but apparently with memory cards now you can get a decent amount of time with pictures taken every 10 seconds and with video feed.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

California Dreamin

I was thinking in terms of: the quadcopter hovering 100 feet up, streaming a live video feed to a laptop so you can see the shot being taken? it would need some skill framing your subject 'especially one that is moving', following the subject by moving the position of the quadcopter...is there anyone on here with any knowledge of the kit that would be needed?
And
Without live feed? wouldn't that be just pointing it is the general direction and hoping for the best?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

At the Overland show I got talking to a guy who was flying a quad copter with a go pro. He had a video display on his control unit. I'm pretty sure he said the unit he was using was a phantom 2 and the video display was an add on.

It was all very impressive especially the gps guidance of return to base if you lost signal between the controller and the RC but cost over £1000.

Gopro's have a very wide angle lens so you only have to point in the general direction but when flying one a video link would be very beneficial.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

never having flown one and being rubbish at computer games my co ordination is crap so if I flew one it would be hoping for the best just to keep it up in the air let alone have any hope to actually get it to go where that I wanted it to :lol:
Nil carborundum illegitimi

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Don't you need a pilots licence to fly one of those things.I'm sure i read somewhere that you do.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

California Dreamin

This youtube link pretty much answers most of what I wanted to know...

The add is also brilliant but I suspect extremely expensive. The main video is of a more main stream model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptVJGrOpyok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

BertieWells
80-90 Mem No: 13372

Post by BertieWells »

The DJI products are very popular, but over priced imo. If you take the time to build it your self you can get far far more out of it :)
1985 1.9 DG

California Dreamin

BertieWells wrote:The DJI products are very popular, but over priced imo. If you take the time to build it your self you can get far far more out of it :)

So what kit (self build?) would you recommend and why....

Cheers

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

BertieWells
80-90 Mem No: 13372

Post by BertieWells »

This is a difficult question as if you build your own people generally take bits and peices from here there and everywhere. You can buy a full quad copter in parts and build it your self but you dont tend to save that much money and you certainly wont learn much about it (which i think is where alot of the fun is, me and a friend went flying a couple of days a go onlyto find his wouldnt take off and it was a good 15 minsof chin scratching before we worked it out. If we hadnt have built our own and understood how it all sort of works i dare say it would have been on the ground for far longer).

Take a look on http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... F_ARF.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are quad copters that need next to nothing extra to get off the ground.

This is an interesting site http://diydrones.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So basically i can't really answer your question its a lot of research and planning im afraid. The most popular commercial ones however are the DJI stuff.

Here is my baby
EDIT.jpg
EDIT.jpg (105.3 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
only difference she now is carrying a gopro on a gimbal

Feel free to pm me some questions

Regards

Rob
1985 1.9 DG

wee bugger
80-90 Mem No: 3238

Post by wee bugger »

scottbott wrote:just seen that gopro do a "cheap" basic camera for 100 quid,anyone got one and if so can it overwrite? or looping as gopro call it,had a look online and seen that the hero 3 and 4 overwrite but cannot see anything about the "hero",would make a good dashcam at that price

search SJCam SJ4000...about £60, comes with loads of (Gopro compatible) mounts (except a windscreen mount but mine cost £4 from China), does continual loop etc, has preview screen on back unlike GoPro models...great cheap option for a starter, occasional use
1987 1.6d CS LHD Kombi TinTop

Scotlands Premier VW Club http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk Monthly meets