Instrument ribbon damaged

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Delbertini
80-90 Mem No: 0

Instrument ribbon damaged

Post by Delbertini »

Please help, got an issue with my lights on the dash not working, wiped off the dash cover and found some damage to the ribbon. I Would like to repair rather than buy a secondhand one that may or maynot but my soldering and electrical skills are rubbish.
Does anyone know who may be willing to the repair the ribbon???

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Instrument ribbon damaged

Post by marlinowner »

Where is the damage? If it's at the 14way connector and just the instrument lights not working it might be easiest to hard wire them straight to the lighting switch.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

I've heard if you're careful and patient, the paint for rear heated windscreen repairs can be used to bridge the broken areas.

Not sure how flexible it is though so probably best to repair in place. Others may be able to confirm or better ideas.

Delbertini

Post by Delbertini »

It's on the main ribbon section and has broken the contact on at least one wire, also some exposed sections. I really want to keep it as it has a Rev counter. I like the idea of the heated windscreen paint. I will try to upload a. Pix tomorrow.
Thanks so far

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

If all else fails you can get a new PCB from VW Heritage classic parts. Part number 255 919 059 A. This is for a rev counter but doesn't have the oil pressure buzzer of doom circuit. I fitted this after I couldn't repair the PCB which was in a right state at the connector. I have an oil pressure gauge so not too worried about the buzzer.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Delbertini

Post by Delbertini »

That sounds ideal, had a look on Heritage site but couldn't find, looked under T25 electrical and searched the part number. I've got a rev counter so that should be perfect if I can find it.
Thanks for the info everyone

Delbertini

Post by Delbertini »

Found it, just ordered it from Heritage as missed the classic parts section doh... :idea:
Should solve my issues hopefully, thanks for all the help people, appreciated.. :ok