gear change

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bluebus
80-90 Mem No: 2298

gear change

Post by bluebus »

Hi I have a 1990 caravelle 1600 td .when ichange gear from first to second and third to forth the gears grind slightly .does anyone know if this can be adjusted.On my old van there was a cable going to the gearbox you could adjust it was an air cooled t25 ,is this the same on the turbo diesel.Also has anyone fitted a quicck shift to a td isit worth the hassle. Bluebus :?:

sixsprings
80-90 Mem No: 15083

Post by sixsprings »

i had trouble changing gear on mine. the clutch will be moved hydraulically.
simply bleed the clutch slave cylinder (it's on the top nearside of the gearbox) exactly as you would a brake cylinder.
the fluid for the brake and clutch is the same resivior, so make sure there's plenty in there before and after bleeding.

mine is now loads better after following the above advice from others on here, so thanks chaps :D

hope it goes well :D

bluebus

re gear change

Post by bluebus »

:) Thanks for the info chad will give it a go.bluebus.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

The short shift kit does fit, only you (or someone who has fitted one to a TD) can say if its worth it.. It does make a hell of a difference to changing gear though..
It WONT cure your shift problem which sounds clutch related, sounds like its not disengaging properly.. As said.. try a bleed of the system.. but could be master or slave losing fluid... or clutch on its way out..

SHifters kits can be got direct from me.. the maker..
t25_mann@manx.net

or a couple of selected suppliers..

bluebus

gear change

Post by bluebus »

Thanks to toomanytoys,Iwill try the short shifter when i have got the clutch problem sorted out which may take awile as i am not a mechanic. Have you got plenty of the shifters and do they come with instructions for the turbo diesel ? cheers bluebus (shaun)