Horn and cigarette lighter

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mangledharry
80-90 Mem No: 13966

Horn and cigarette lighter

Post by mangledharry »

Hi I have just got a westfalia club joker 1989 which I just love. I have been tinkering with some small issues which I have fixed but I have 2 outstanding problems that I hope someone can help me with or point me in the right direction.

1. Horn not working - I have replaced the fuse on the relay panel (number 16) but still no joy. Apparantly it was working but weak at MOT time. Should I just buy a new horn (where does that reside??) or is it advisable to take steering column and wheel apart to check all connections first.

2. Cigarette lighter I see that fuse 3 controls internal lights clock stereo and the lighter. I replaced fuse (stereo internal lights and clock were working anyway) but still lighter not working. ANy ideas tips would be most welcome. These are the only 2 things that don't work so please send me your valuable knowledge.

thanks

HArry

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Horn and cigarette lighter

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

mangledharry wrote:Hi I have just got a westfalia club joker 1989 which I just love. I have been tinkering with some small issues which I have fixed but I have 2 outstanding problems that I hope someone can help me with or point me in the right direction.

1. Horn not working - I have replaced the fuse on the relay panel (number 16) but still no joy. Apparantly it was working but weak at MOT time. Should I just buy a new horn (where does that reside??) or is it advisable to take steering column and wheel apart to check all connections first.

The horn is under the front bumper - it's pretty obvious if you duck under there and take a look; it should have two wires going to it - one with 12v on it and one which is grounded by the horn switch; so if you can confirm that one has 12v on it, then ground the other one (with a short piece of wire to the chassis) then the horn should sound; that would confirm that a) the horn is getting power, b) the horn works, and c) the problem is somewhere is the switching bit (which is probably most likely); check this out then check back in here if you need more help!

mangledharry wrote:2. Cigarette lighter I see that fuse 3 controls internal lights clock stereo and the lighter. I replaced fuse (stereo internal lights and clock were working anyway) but still lighter not working. ANy ideas tips would be most welcome. These are the only 2 things that don't work so please send me your valuable knowledge.

This one could be any number of things - have you got a multimeter that you can check if the lighter socket has 12v going to it ??
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

mangledharry
80-90 Mem No: 13966

Post by mangledharry »

thanks I will check out the horn and go get a multimeter and report back.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Often its a poor ground.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.