temp gauge light stopped working after dash install

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pete_vincent
80-90 Mem No: 12712

temp gauge light stopped working after dash install

Post by pete_vincent »

Hi all, I have searched but find so many options I thought I'd post my problem. My temp gauge light has stopped initial check at ignition point 1 after I removed the dash to replace heater blower. It obviously works as when I flick the headlight switch, it starts flashing, which judging by my research indicates an electrical fault? I'm not convinced my fuel gauge is working now either though I cant remember whether there is much fuel left anyhow lol as the van has been stationary for some time. I do know both gauges were working fine as was the light before my removal of dash. So could anyone offer a check to do before I go insane? I was going to have a look at the crowns (earth) and check thereon. The only other thing I should mention is I have removed some bodged wiring that appeared to control the aux water pump (jx to aaz conversion) I have removed the pump and traced back the wiring and removed. I can take pics if needed.

Also can anyone tell me where the two plugs go for the brake cylinder under the instrument panel? I have two plugs and four points of contact lol
thanks in advance

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: temp gauge light stopped working after dash install

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

I'd try giving the long white electrical connector that connects to the back of the gauge cluster a wiggle (or maybe more accurately - take it off and put it back on again firmly);
I'd would also check the earths to make sure that they are still sound.
It sort of sounds like you have lost the earth connection to the gauge cluster.
Out of interest - when you turn the headlights on (to get the gauge light to flash), is the high beam on or off?

Some questions to help diagnose:
1) Does the gauge itself work (ie does the needle move)? [would imply that the regulated 10v supply to the gauges was good]
2) Does the oil pressure light come on with the ignition on (but engine not running)? [this would imply that the 12v supply to gauges is good]
3) Does the high beam blue light come on when the high beam is on? [this would imply that the ground to the gauges was good]
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

pete_vincent
80-90 Mem No: 12712

Re: temp gauge light stopped working after dash install

Post by pete_vincent »

Hi, thanks for reply, well it was late and I got confused, the light is doing its self test on start up with the headlight switch in off position. (I thought it was on!!) But I have no high beam, and if I use the flasher its a yellow light that pops up on the dash lol not a blue one. Im going to try the tests you said and do it all in the day...I'm easily confused in the dark haha. Thanks for reply