1Y 1.9 diesel pump pipe help ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

celticboatman
80-90 Mem No: 0

1Y 1.9 diesel pump pipe help ?

Post by celticboatman »

Hi,

I have just acquired a boat which has a 1.9 1Y 1993 diesel engine installed, but it has not been connected up yet.
My problems are:

1. On the diesel pump which connector is the in feed and which is the return pipe? There is a shorter fatter banjo to the front and a longer thinner curved banjo with the pipe from the injectors joining into it on the top towards the rear.

2. Also will a small inline fuel filter be sufficient and how easy / difficult is it to bleed the air out?

3. Do I need a non return valve in the feed or return line?

4. Do I need a seperate lift pump to push diesel to the engine such as an intank pump?

Any help would be most appreciated

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: 1Y 1.9 diesel pump pipe help ?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1. Front is inlet.

2. Full size filter with water drain advisable - you get water in the fuel on land, on water the humidity is higher so condensation is higher in your fuel tank so water content is higher.

3. No non return valves necessary if your fuel lines and pump are airtight.

4. What distance from and height above/below pump is the fuel tank?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

Thanks for your reply.
Can you get a "standard" aftermarket fuel filter with water drain?
The tank is only about 2 feet from the pump and when full the top level of diesel would be about 4 inches lower than the pump and at lowest about 16 inches.

Oldiebut goodie

No problem with tank position then. Not going from one end of a 50ft narrow boat to the other!

Straightforward fuel filter like this type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-fuel-fi ... 35ae430a64

or this with hand primer built in and screw on replacement filter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-DIESEL- ... 3cde6150c7 - this is the type that I have on my boat as it comes with this as standard as it is a F0rd. Saves messing about with other priming pumps if/when you do work on the fuel lines. (Nothing worse than being unable to prime the fuel line when broken down out at sea) You will need unions to fit rather than just pushing on hose. If you are on inland waterways I think that you have to have all copper fuel lines anyway - don't quote me on that though as I know nothing about landlocked boats and their regulations . :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

I am using flexible hoses, not the copper ones, I run the boat on River Bann in Northern Ireland, it flows out to the sea and we can get the best of both worlds :D . Tomorrow I will go hunting for the water trap filter and possibly a hand primer balloon. I am thinking of the hand primer placed in the return pipe to allow sucking the diesel right through the pump for priming? what do you think?

Oldiebut goodie

It doesn't make sense to me if you are starting from scratch to use a temporary rubber balloon as a permanent fixture, why not put a robust primer/filter in and save extra bother? (the spin on filters are cheaper to replace than replacing the whole caboodle).
I have a rubber balloon primer but would never countenance using it as a permanent fixture, it is only used for temporary priming and then removed.

Don't forget there are no laybys at sea!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

Point taken. I will go hunting tomorrow for the primer filter and see if I can get it bled and running - hopefully wont need to be looking for any sea laybys then :lol: