Rooflight Installation

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ceecee85
80-90 Mem No: 12990

Rooflight Installation

Post by Ceecee85 »

I've got a Sheldon conversion fixed high top so over all, the van is about 2.7m high. I want to install a 400 x 400 rooflight- there's even a nice flat surface on the moulding for just that kind of thing. The problem is going to be: How do I do the install? Can these things be fitted from inside only or will I need to get up to the roof? If the latter, will it take my weight (fairly substantial- fully grown bloke size)? Or, do I just send her away to have someone do it properly? Not purchased a rooflight as yet- just working up the best approach at the moment.
Any help appreciated.
Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
'85 1.6d

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Rooflight Installation

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I use some old 4 inch foam from old seats to spread the load and make it easier on my old knees. It has the advantage that it doesn't slip off with you on it unlike other materials. Most high tops seem to hold weight better than poptops due to being fixed at the base.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: due to being fixed at the base.

In theory :rofl

martinkgray
80-90 Mem No: 13412

Post by martinkgray »

Really keen to hear how you get on with this as i am looking to fit one in mine very soon.
My high top has no window or skylights and it gets pretty hot in there at the moment.
I have seen the posts about Sikaflex 512 which ive now purchased but like yourself i haven't picked up the courage to order a skylight and start cutting holes in the roof yet :-)
1983 - DG 1.9l 57Kw / 78bhp - Galaxy II convertion

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Post by thecyrusvirus »

I did this very job on our sheldon high top just yesterday (installed a fiamma 400mm roof light)

I used a fairly tall step ladder. I did lean on the edges of the roof but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to put all my weight on it.

I made up a 390mm x 390mm frame out of 44mm square planed timber. Used this to markup the cut lines for the high top, then drilled a pilot hole and used a jigsaw to cut out from the inside (wear goggles and a mask as cutting fiberglass is messy)

I then carpeted the frame.

Then applied the polyurethane sealant/ adhesive all around the rooflight mating face.

Plonked the roof light in the cut out from the top of the step ladder and got my wife to hold the frame from the inside whilst I drove the 35mm stainless self tappers through the fixing holes (20 holes) from the top and into the frame. Once the four corners were fixed I worked like you would on a cylinder head and drove the screws in opposite sides/ diagonal to equally stress the seal and avoid gaps appearing. I did have to keep switching the ladder to either side of the van.

Then onto filling the screw heads with more sealant and cleaning off with a filling knife.

Last bit was fitting the flyscreen from the inside with four more (45mm this time) self tappers and fitting the blanking plugs.

Jobs a good un.

Took about 45 mins, including making the frame

Then ran a thin smear of sealant all the way around the perimeter up top
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

Ceecee85

Post by Ceecee85 »

Wonderfully detailed account of how to do it. I'll be referring to that when I pluck up the courage to cut a big hole in a perfectly watertight roof! It's a shame you don't live closer! Many thanks for the tips. :ok
Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
'85 1.6d

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

It is a shame but I wouldn't trust my old van on a drive to the wirral at the moment.

I have just taken a couple of pics of the installed rooflight, apologies for the pic quality but it is getting dark and I forgot earlier today.

Yes the roof needs a good clean! :oops:

The rooflight is one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37107967 ... 108&ff19=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They recommend sikaflex for installation but I used PU-18 as it is about a quarter of the price and has lasted as long as sikaflex on our boat. You can get it cheap on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PU18-Polyuret ... 1c3f9f6ae6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for the screws I would recommend pan head self-tappers

If you have any questions or worries when it comes to doing the job give us a shout :ok

Ceecee85

Post by Ceecee85 »

Thanks for the pics. That looks like a good job you've done there.

Just one question- Does it need to have the perimeter battens on the inside? The only reason is that I'm quite tall and I've got about half an inch (tops) between me and the roof at the moment. I'd be taking knocks to the noggin skimming around a little downstand like that- for as long as it takes to learn not to of course. Perhaps I could increase the padding- either on my head out around the rooflight.
'85 1.6d

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Sadly they do have to be on the inside, I am guessing it is primarily due to weather sealing but the design of the inner/ flyscreen insert means that it sits inside the timber frame to cover it and complete the installation. Also the window flange on the outside needs to sit flush on the high top so I can't see any other options sadly.

You can go thinner, the minimum thickness of roof and battens is 3cm for this particular rooflight. There may be others that allow you to use thinner again but I only have experience of this one.

I am just over 6'1" and my head brushes against the frame if I forget it is there, I guess if you are taller than that then it could be a real pain! If you carpet the battens like I have then at least you don't get a noggin on the noggin.