Fuel evaporation

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Fuel evaporation

Post by CovKid »

Not had this happen for at least 15 years but pulled into my drive last night, went to pull out today, started fine, moved about three yards and - nothing.

Turned out the fuel line was dry of fuel (presumably the heat last night). Enough in carb to start it but nowt between tank and pump. Had to pour fuel into carb to get engine running so pump went fast enough pull it through.

Time for an electric pump I think..... :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Re: Fuel evaporation

Post by NicBeeee »

Hi Cov

Is it possible that theses tanks can create a strong enough vacuum so as to suck the fuel back into the tank :?:

Not really sure as to where the air comes into these tanks when fuel is being taken as I havent had to remove mine as of yet as it was new when bought :D
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

NicBeeee wrote:Is it possible that theses tanks can create a strong enough vacuum so as to suck the fuel back into the tank :?:

Unlikely, most of "our" tanks have enough holes in them to circumnavigate that issue :shock: Plus there are breathers on the tank and in the cap.

However, fuel containing Ethanol is well known to be much more susceptible to vapour locks, another reason why I do not use it ;)

References = HERE and lots HERE
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Sta-bil then, marine (blue) Stabil is one tip... but before fuel goes off added when fresh.
Had vapour lock years ago before ethanol fuel... little Nova in Portugal. Quite common in summer... climbing hills and then stopping to look at the view... is a nono.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I think I'll bypass the mechanical pump and fit a low pressure electric pump after the filter at tank. At least if it happens again it'll push the fuel back though faster. Was peeing it down and was on my way to see Fazzer in Brum so it wasn't good timing at all. :evil:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Got the same problem with ours; only happens once a year and last Saturday was this years occasion. Fuel was not being pumped through the mechanical fuel pump (a little over a year old) but could be sucked through. Am getting a new push rod as it's only a few quid and will measure the old one when I take it out.
And on both occasions it happened in a Morrison's car park but I don't think that was the cause! Not heard about ethanol being an issue and I've no idea if there is any in the fuel I normally put in.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Right; the old pushrod measures 9.92mm and the new one is 10.91mm so maybe on a really hot day with extra added thermal expansion the old pushrod wasn't pushing enough?
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop