PopTop bed advise

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scimdiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0

PopTop bed advise

Post by scimdiesel »

I've just fitted a PoptopUK pop top to my t25 caravelle. Now I'm contemplating the beds. Has anyone any advise. I've not seen how a Westie or reimo bed works. Googling now!

I was thinking of making a flat area in the back. then having another board on top which slides forward. The front part having a curved board to match the curve of poptop roof and existing van roof. The plan would be so that the with the roof closed stuff can't fly forward.

I'm wondering about

Thickness of boards and what material is best. Ply? 10mm?
What stops the kid sleeping against, kicking the tent. Me shouting at them each time they move! or some sort of hinged sides?

Any pictures of yours (pop top bed ) would be great :)

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Re: PopTop bed advise

Post by weimarbus »

Hi, my old Devon bed boards were made with two skins of 3mm ply and a timber frame, between the two skins were 3mm ply strips on edge and interlinked to form a honeycomb ( with squares not hexagons) to give great strength and it is also lightweight, I think in was about 45mm o/a.

Re moving children try a 'mummy' sleeping bag with Velcro :lol: valium also works
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

scimdiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: PopTop bed advise

Post by scimdiesel »

I think the mummy sleeping bag and Velcro sounds excellent. Giving drugs to kids not so. But it would be a shame to waste them :)
I like the laminated board concept. Cheers