DIESEL PUMP TIMNG

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

voyageur
80-90 Mem No: 0

DIESEL PUMP TIMNG

Post by voyageur »

Has anyone tried to time the diesel pump and succeed?
I bought the timing kit for jx engine, and tried to use it as it's on the manual but still not working.
Pump been reconditioned by by Bosh last year

Kermit
80-90 Mem No: 1211

Post by Kermit »

Yes, I also bought a timing kit and set up the pump on my previous JX and current KY engine, with good results.

By timing kit I assume you mean the DTI to set up the pump timing itself not just the pullys?

whats the problems are you getting?

Kerr

voyageur

Post by voyageur »

thanks for the reply would really appreciated it if you can help me.
This is the tool [img][img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/ ... G_0773.jpg[/img]
according to the instructions (which I followed):

Handturn the crankshaft over to TDC. Screw the tool in the timing plug and turn the crankshaft anticlockwise until the dial indicator stops moving. Then reset the dial indicator to 1.00 mm and then zero the gauge (really don't know how to reset the dial indicator [small clock in middle, but know how to zero). turn the crankshaft clockwise back to TDC to see if the pump is between 0.86 and 1.00 mm. If the timing needs to be adjusted loosen all four bolts holding the pump, and rotate it back and forth just a little, you will see the dial indicator move. Set the pump to 0.86 mm for best mileage or 1.00 mm for turbo.

I've been doing this while the engine is out of the car, now I've put it back in the car, but it is not working. Can you share your instructions please?
thanks
Hass
[/img]

Kermit
80-90 Mem No: 1211

Post by Kermit »

Yes, thats the correct tool

What I did first was to make sure the crankshaft / cam and pump pulleys were all correctly set-up first - the mark on the flywheel, the slot in the back of the camshaft and the hole in the pump pulley were all good, if not do this first before setting up the pump.

Next make sure the cold start mechanism is fully in (this advances the timing a bit)

There are a couple of links below which give the correct method of setting up the pump, they do seem to over complicate the wording, here's my plain English version

Basically, with the timing mark on the flywheel aligned screw in the timing tool

Make sure the DTI clock has turned a few times (make sure the plunger has moved in a few mm so it has some preload and is not on the end of its stroke) the measurement on the clock is not important yet

Now turn the engine over anti-clockwise, the dial will move, when you are still turning the engine over (slowly!) but the dial has stopped moving, stop turning the engine and now Zero the clock

Zero the clock simply means turning the outer face so the zero lines up with the pointer, the smaller dial measurement which is on the top of your clock is not important, it will properly be reading 2 or 3 mm (as long as it has not reached the end of its stroke, it does not matter)

Once the clock is zeroed, turn the engine clockwise until the timing mark on the flywheel is once again aligned, the DTI will have moved from the zero on the clock and if the pump is set up correctly it will be reading and will have moved 0.86mm (or 1mm)

If the reading is out, slacken off the bolts on the pump, you may also have to slacken off the pipes going from the pump to the injectors on the pump to allow it to rotate, move the pump back or forward and you will see the dial on the DTI move slightly, when it reads 0.86 (or 1mm if that's what you are working to) nip up the pump.

Now do the procedure again, when you go from the flat spot (when the dial stops moving) to when the flywheel marks are aligned and the gauge reads 0.86mm the pump is set correctly.

It is not obvious straight away which is the correct timing mark on the flywheel (I struggled first time) are you using the correct mark on the flywheel? It's the mark between the two sticky out bits on the clutch pressure plate!!

Hope this makes sense, if not I will try and clarify further, let us know how you get on

Links:

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/ipump.htm
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/en ... iming.html

Kerr

voyageur

Post by voyageur »

Thanks mate for the detailed info's I'm going to try it tomorrow and let you now about the result cheers
Hass

http://www.wanafin.co.uk