Ham Radio Antenna Mounting

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tufty_B
80-90 Mem No: 13025

Ham Radio Antenna Mounting

Post by Tufty_B »

Hello,
At the end of last year I passed my amateur radio foundation and last week my intermediate exams (along with my 2 sons) and want to get out and about with the radio so I've been trying to work out where to fit an antenna mount for a transceiver on my LHD poptop T3 and I can't work out the best place to fit a mount and how to get the coax into the van. I'm not planning on permanently fitting the radio because it probably will only be used in the rear of the van when parked up or used in another car (currently using a mag mount on a MK5 Golf) or the house.
I have seen the thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=131196 and Mocki's reply but don't understand how to get the cable inside. I was considering either a gutter mount but the shape of gutter doesn't look like a mount will hold particularly well (can anyone suggest a make/model of mount), either at the B pillar with the cable in via the front or sliding door or mounted on the rear of the gutter and taking the cable in through the rear vent. Alternatively a hatch mount might work and then try and route the cable in via the rear wiring grommet at the hinge and somehow work out how to get the cable though the headlining to the rear seat area.

Any advice on antenna mounting and cable routing would be appreciated (pics would be good), especially on fitting multiple antennas for both HF & VHF/UHF.

de M6TXT / 2E0??? (awaiting callsign)
Mike

The robots are coming.

(1990 Westy Syncro 2.1 DJ - Converted from a Caravelle)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Ham Radio Antenna Mounting

Post by ghost123uk »

I use 2 gutter mounts on the B pillar, one on each side, and simply feed the coax around the top corner of the door rubber. I actually used a thin bead of impact adhesive to hold the cable close in to the contours, just to make it look neater. Remember to test (with your multimeter) the earthing of the gutter mount via the 2 x mounting screws "biting" through the paint. Do not use a separate earth link cable by the way (it can screw up the SWR no end). Then paint summat over where those screws have gone through the paint (to avoid rust ;)) Also, avoid those cheap black alloy gutter mounts on Ebay, they are utter pants and corrode and / or break !! Look for a decent quality stainless steel one(s).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Tufty_B

Post by Tufty_B »

Thanks ghost123uk,
Could you post up a close up photo or 2 of the cable routing from outside to inside?
I'll have a look tonight when home from work but if my memory serves me correct, the door has a rather sharp edge on it and I was worried about damaging the coax when the door is repeatedly opened and closed, but as you're glueing the coax on, this might solve that issue. Where do you fit it over the door rubber and bring it inside, at the rear/front, top/bottom of the door frame?

Also what type of coax have you used or recommend?

Thanks
Mike

The robots are coming.

Tufty_B

Post by Tufty_B »

I had a look earlier and it seems that it might be best to run it down the recess of the door frame and then bring it inside at the bottom rear of the door.

I need to get a few bits and bobs sorted for the MOT which is booked for next week (both the T3 & the Touran), so I'll look at fitting an antenna once that is out of the way.
Mike

The robots are coming.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Tufty_B wrote:Thanks ghost123uk,
Could you post up a close up photo or 2 of the cable routing from outside to inside?

Will do this a little later today :)

Tufty_B wrote:I'll have a look tonight when home from work but if my memory serves me correct, the door has a rather sharp edge on it and I was worried about damaging the coax when the door is repeatedly opened and closed, but as you're glueing the coax on, this might solve that issue.

Not sure the glue has any bearing on that, but I can say that it has not been a problem and has been like that for years.

Tufty_B wrote: Where do you fit it over the door rubber and bring it inside, at the rear/front, top/bottom of the door frame?

Rear top corner, right by the gutter mount.

Tufty_B wrote:Also what type of coax have you used or recommend?

For these short lengths, a good quality RG58 is fine.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

i have found the best place for my setup is to use a s/steel hatch mount on the rear door. as i use a atas 120a automattic tunning antena, (Frequency Range 7/14/21/28/50/144/430MHz Amateur Bands) & cb etc. for coax i use mini RG-8 . also i have gutter mounts have tried them cheap cast aly & they prone to cracking, so now s/steel fitted for my other antenas 4 & 6 meters & for running some long wires up a fishing pole when i am parked up.

roy ( good dx ing) Yaesu FT897D
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx