Analogue clock

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Analogue clock

Post by Theclash »

Read the wiki but still confused
Fitted a new radio to replace the 1980s version in my van but the analogue clock hasn't worked since :(
I have a spare dead red wire next to the live radio wire but when I connect them together nothing happens but I think it does come from the clock. How is the clock earthed ? Any help appreciated

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Analogue clock

Post by what2do »

You're doing better than me, I couldn't find a mention in the wiki!!!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Could ANYBODY point me in the direction of the wiki write up on clocks? Please, mitch.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

The radio and clock are both fed from fuse 3 counting from the left hand side; the interior courtesy lights and cigarette lighter are too. It's permanently energised (obviously otherwise the clock would stop and the 'modern' radios would lose their channel memory). I reckon it's been interupted somehow, the clock feed is No7 on the dash connector block, the earth is most likely fine as the rest of your dash would be playing up otherwise. Check voltage at pin 7.
Hope that helps
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Post by Theclash »

Thanks 1664 for taking the time to explain
I will check the voltage at pin 7 as you suggest

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

As 1664 said, the radio and clock are both supplied from the same fuse. When I first got my van, I found that a previous owner had replaced the radio and disconnected the power forwards to the clock! Have a look behind your radio and see how it's connected.
:ok
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

what2do

Post by what2do »

1664 wrote:The radio and clock are both fed from fuse 3 counting from the left hand side; the interior courtesy lights and cigarette lighter are too. It's permanently energised (obviously otherwise the clock would stop and the 'modern' radios would lose their channel memory). I reckon it's been interupted somehow, the clock feed is No7 on the dash connector block, the earth is most likely fine as the rest of your dash would be playing up otherwise. Check voltage at pin 7.
Hope that helps

Be patient with me regarding the testing of pin 7. Is it a case of putting the meter across this and an earth?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Ps. Lots of silly led strips have been added, perhaps this has something to do with it?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Was about to check my spare instrument panel as it is handy at the mo but forgot this one is the basic one missing the clock. Can still see the trails so on the early with vertical plug it is pin 7 for power and earths via pin 5. No idea whether Theclash's van is early or late. With your 1989 van what2d, I'd have thought you would have a horizontal connector on your dash and with this the manual shows clock gets power from pin 5. Put red probe of meter (set to DC volts) on pin 5 of connector and other probe on something metal like the dash. You should see 12V regardless of ignition on or off.

So to make things clear
If your connector to the instrument panel is vertical to the side of the clock it is an early one and gets clock power on pin 7
If connector is horizontal and under clock it is a late on and power is on pin 5.

One thing that does go wrong with these clocks after all these years is the electrolytic capacitors pack in. This should be in the wiki if not already as there is a writeup here http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fix-y ... 72774.html on how to fix. Symptoms are the clock will be intermittent and the second hand may just pulse one tick forward then one tick back. Unsoldering the capacitors and replacing is fairly easy and since I did mine the clock has never stopped and keeps very good time.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

pirate-pete wrote:So to make things clear
If your connector to the instrument panel is vertical to the side of the clock it is an early one and gets clock power on pin 7
If connector is horizontal and under clock it is a late on and power is on pin 5.
Yes, I've just looked at the Haynes and that says pin 5 so my dash pin picture is obviously for an early van. Best make a note of that :lol:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

what2do

Post by what2do »

Cheers people, will look at it tomorrow. Clock hasn't moved in the months that I've had it.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

We have 12 volts at the pin. What next people? Looked at the back of the clock and admitted that I was in need of help that only a forum can provide!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Anybody? Time is ticking on as they say, just not in my van!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

what2d wrote:Anybody? Time is ticking on as they say, just not in my van!

Try running a length of wire from the battery to the 12v connection to the clock (i.e. the little screwthread bolt that the pcb plastic thing connects to on the back of the clock);
And another piece of wire from the other clock connection to the battery ground.
(Be careful as all these connections will not be fused (maybe add a little fuse to the positive wire if you have one handy))

See if that 'hot wiring' of the clock gets it moving - that should at least prove if the clock works or not??
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

what2do

Post by what2do »

Thanks mlc, will give it a go soon. Wasn't impressed when I saw the complexity of things on the back of the clocks!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.