Main beam warning lamp.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RICH1505

Main beam warning lamp.

Post by RICH1505 »

Is it possible to change this without taking the instrument panel out, perhaps by releasing the screws and easing the panel back? I don't want to risk another fault by disturbing everything. Where is the best place to get another bulb?

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Re: Main beam warning lamp.

Post by slippy8v »

yes easy to do yourself VW still do the bulbs heres a link to me replacing mine for MOT
scroll down the thread

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php ... 2&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

RICH1505

Post by RICH1505 »

Thanks. Any sources for the bulb? Vw don't seem to recognise it. How do I get the speedo cable off? Mine has been butchered sometime and its not obvious how it releases.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

You don't give any clue as to what year/version your van is, but re the speedo cable, earlier ones have a knurled screw on collar, later ones have a (slightly awkward) plastic clip you have to depress and then pull the cable forwards.

You do have to take the entire "pod" off. You have to unplug the connector from the wiring loom to the (delicate) blue film circuit board thingy (again, different connectors for early and late vans, but essentially the same). Then you do have to remove some clips on that PCB to get at the bulb. All in all a slightly delicate operation. Take your time, go gently ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

slippy8v wrote:yes easy to do yourself VW still do the bulbs heres a link to me replacing mine for MOT
scroll down the thread http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php ... 2&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good write up and set of pics there :ok

BUT,

I note you fitted and LED, did you change the resistor for a higher value one ? If you did not then I suspect your LED might not last too long (and might be a tad bright ?) Brickwerks (and probably other places too) do the correct bulb, complete with it's special mounting.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

Hi ghost123uk
just fitted what VW supplied called, in with local dealer checked the pics on their computer and they ordered it up,dont think it actually was and LED as I was corrected on a previous thread,so must be a bulb not to bright.
Could be wrong however If i find the part number I will put it up.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Covered many, many times on 80/90 but yes its a bulb because blue LEDs didn't exist in the 1980s. Yes you can fit an LED with suitable resistor (higher resistance preferred to bring the LED brightness down to acceptable level) - or dip it in black paint prior to fitting (that also works). Yes you can ignore it and fit a light somewhere else providing it can be seen. No it doesn't have to be blue - you just have to have a visual indication that you're on full beam. That is all the law requires. Mine is orange and sits above my handbrake warning light.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.