No joy replacing reversing light switch - what next?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottyh56
80-90 Mem No: 0

No joy replacing reversing light switch - what next?

Post by scottyh56 »

First post for a long time, must be a good sign :)

I have a 1988 T25 camper, 1.6td variety with faulty reversing lights. On engaging reverse gear, the reversing lights were not working however while coming out of gear they briefly flash. I thought this must be a problem with the switch, which I replaced only to find that exactly the same fault persisted.
Any experience on this one please? I have a horrible thought now that it could be a mechanical issue on the interior of the gearbox.....

Thanks

Scott

(For anyone wondering where the switch is, and I really have not been able to find an accurate description of this for the T25 1.6TD, it is to the front of the gearbox on the nearside, accessible from underneath about 2 feet in front of the rear wheels. Switch was on offer at about a fiver from JK.)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: No joy replacing reversing light switch - what next?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I seem to remember reading some time ago to add/remove washers from the switch to get it to make the right contact.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

scottyh56

Post by scottyh56 »

Thanks - removing the washer (there was not one with the new switch) could help if it's a mechanical issue.
When it dries out out there I'll crawl underneath and give it a go and report back.
Scott

scottyh56

Post by scottyh56 »

Excellent! Removing the washer sorted it out and now the reversing lights function perfectly.

:ok

JonnyAtlantic
80-90 Mem No: 10709

Post by JonnyAtlantic »

Oldiebut goodie... Genius

My reverse lights have never really worked for the 6 years I have had my van. Replaced the switch, cleaned up contacts every where. Then they would seem ok but then fail again.

Just saw this post, stuck my arm through the wheel arch, contacts off, switch out, removed washer, re installed switch and wires.

Lights on...

Unbelievable after 6 years all I needed to do was remove a washer!!!!!

I'm a happy man now. But now there working I seem to remember a thread about LED upgrades for reversing lamps.....mmmmmm...
1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD

Flyingchunk
80-90 Mem No: 11572

Post by Flyingchunk »

Just be careful...

I had to replace my box last year due no oil.

A coupe if weeks ago after being recovered home I noticed an oil patch on the road under the van.

Sure enough... Gearbox oil.

Further investigation revealed it was coming from the switch. There was no washer, and it was tightened to the correct position to make it function correctly.

So I've today fitted a fibre washer to solve the issue, and just did some careful tightening to get the switch to function.

Thought I'd top up the box oil, in case.... Half a litre missing!!!!!

All I'm saying is... Watch out for leaks. Not worth a new box.

But I also have to say, all the advice and help came from here, and it is very much a case it would seem of whatever works for your van.

No washer, no leaks, no technical issue,... No problem.

Just trying to give back, after nearly two years of taking from this forum.
1981 - Devon Moonraker - 2.0l Aircooled

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Quick and simple test to see if it's the switch - unplug the wires, and join them together. If the lights come on, it's the switch. If not, it's something else.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;