Options for a new roof?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mirams
80-90 Mem No: 2375

Options for a new roof?

Post by mirams »

Hi all,

I have an expiring Autohomes Kamper roof, which is mostly held together with gaffa tape, damp polystyrene and good luck.

I would ideally like a new high top - but it seems the recommended Timbertechnicians have stopped doing them? Does anyone know other options at present for a brand new roof, high- or pop-top?

Cheers,

Gary

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Re: Options for a new roof?

Post by aec »

Now there's a coincidence - I've just logged on for the first time in about a year in the hope of finding some inspiration to repair my kamper roof!

I was originally going to get a timber technicians roof but for the next two or three years I want to try to keep the pop-up serviceable as the kids are probably a bit big to squeeze into a hi- top roof now, and the autohomes top is pretty spacious. Sounds like the timber tech route is out of the question now anyway.

Mine's in the same state as yours by the sounds of things. About 3 years ago I ripped out all the soggy inner board, put a few bits of ply here and there, replaced a few totally rusted screws, smeared a load of sealant around the edges and slapped some old wallpaper over the polystyrene on the inside. It's held up just about for 3 years but I don't want to risk it any more, the timbers holding the struts are in a pretty poor state

I'm going to try to build a new roof. A couple on here have made a new roof reusing the old aluminium and patching all the holes. I think mine is probably beyond that. I saw another post somewhere but I cant find it anymore where someone had replaced the roof using ply and rubber roof sheet which I think is what I'm going to try to do. So I'll make a new batten frame same as the original, cover over with 3mm ply then 1mm epdm sheet, stick some 1" celotex on the underside and cover with wallpaper direct (thinking that not having any internal board should compensate for the extra weight of ply/epdm compared with aluminium.

Then somehow try to fix the plastic trim round the edges. Thats the plan - but to be honest I am not looking forward to doing this! Any advice from anyone on the forum would be most appreciated! :)

This place do a GRP replacement roof for the kamper, it wasn't cheap but looks like a solid option:
http://www.autovan.co.uk/Kampers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

You could try http://www.autovan.co.uk

They do a replacement fibreglass pop-top like the original, and can repair the other bits. But expensive obviously. Compared with the time and money I spent building a new Kamper top, it's not bad value though.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

mirams
80-90 Mem No: 2375

Post by mirams »

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give auto van a bell.