How to clean Pop-top canvas in situ?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

How to clean Pop-top canvas in situ?

Post by Roydini »

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations on how to clean a roof canvas without removing it? What cleaning products and brushes do you use etc. I've heard of some people using bleach but this sounds a little harsh to me! Also is there a good (re)-waterproofing product out there to slap on afterwards?

Thanks in advance
LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker

chrisbeck
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: How to clean Pop-top canvas in situ?

Post by chrisbeck »

Hi
I used auto glym fabric hood cleaner on mine, then reproofed with the fabric hood protectant, all comes in one pack and worked well for me
Thanks
Chris

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

I've been trying to get rid of black mould spots on my canvas without much success. The harshest thing I've resorted to so far is Milton Sterilising Fluid which has bleached the canvas somewhat but not shifted the mould. Prior to this I have tried Fabsil cleaner and surgical spirit, which is supposed to clean without damaging waterproofing. Both of these were ok for cleaning general dirt, the surgical spirit (diluted) perhaps more so, but neither made much difference to the mould.
As I'll now have to reproof my canvas after the Milton, I may try Dettol Mould & Mildew spray which I know to be effective on mould. I'll spray it on and then thoroughly rinse after maybe 10 mins.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I used some of this on mine inside & out - absolutely effortless and brought it up a treat:

http://www.mcklords-direct.com/product_ ... tivepage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I then used autoglym autofresh:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

I used a mild detergant and once dry, I sprayed the canvas with silicon spray. The spray smells so I let the Sun do its job and dried quickly. The smell went away once it was completely dry.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jpennington
80-90 Mem No: 8028

Post by jpennington »

Just a warning - DO NOT use bleach, or anything containing bleach.
Many years ago I had a Citroen Dyane with a rubberised canvas roof.
My (now ex-) wife, bless her, cleaned it with bleach. A couple of months later the roof shredded.

I must confess that I have never used any cleaner on the poptop canvas of my Westie. Although in the winter I do try to open it up whenever there is a sunny day to make sure it is as dry as possible.
When I am on the road in the summer, it does get wet when it rains, but it dries out quickly.

jp
1986, Westfalia Joker, DJ 2.1 engine, 5 speed.
Mine from new, now sold.
Replaced by a T6 California

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

Post by Roydini »

Thanks for all the advice folks. Will update with how I get on.
LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker