Help me identify parts of my engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lsidir
80-90 Mem No: 0

Help me identify parts of my engine

Post by lsidir »

Hi all,

sorry for my ignorance, but I am still novice:)

I removed the air filter of my diesel turbo 1.6 jx engine. I saw two components that I am not sure what they do.

First is this one. It looks "lonely". There is no cable or hose connected there. Am I missing something? Which component is this?

Second item is the "pump" on the right. The left hose is the air intake of the engine, the middle one is the intake before the filter, so what is the right pump next to it? I see there is a hose going upwards but nothing else.

Thank you very much for your help and again excuse my ignorance:)

lefteris
Lefteris
16" Panel 1.6TD 1991

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Help me identify parts of my engine

Post by Aidan »

first item is blow off valve which just allows any overpressure in the intake system to escape, pretty robust thing, when they fail they generally whistle

2nd item is syncro specific turbo cooling fan which along with the aux water pump is there to reduce heat-soak and differential cooling between the very hot turbo and manifold, cast block and alloy head, there should be a metal pipe that blows air onto the turbo that attaches to the pipe showing - the relay plate is controlled by the second temp sensor in the water pipe at front of engine, so when you turn off engine you may well here the water pump running and the cooling fan running for upto several minutes on a hot day - most of them no longer work it's a pretty rare sound around TD syncros these days
Last edited by Aidan on 12 Mar 2014, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

lsidir
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Help me identify parts of my engine

Post by lsidir »

thanks Aidan,

so the blow-off valve is ok then, nothing missing there:)

As for the turbo cooling pipe, I have that one, although the bracket was broken so I removed it. If I ever take out the engine I will try to revive that one.

Thaks for the info!
Lefteris
16" Panel 1.6TD 1991