Petrol tank

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jojorose
80-90 Mem No: 1316

Petrol tank

Post by jojorose »

Thought I'd posted this yesterday but obviously not. Had a new petrol tank having flooded the station at Michael Wood and been towed 200 miles home!

Anyway have new tank and the van still reeks. Why? Got a 1983 big white one air cooled. Not very technical and obviously didnot do work myself :oops:

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

The problem could be the grommet on the filler neck where it enters the tank (no longer available), or the breather pipe grommets have come away/split.

if it the filler nexk grommet then it's either a bodge job to fix it or a brand new later model tank.

Did you get your breather pipes renewed as well? My 83 vans breather pips were well and truly shagged.

Have a word with Simon Baxter @ www.brickwerks.co.uk he's in Huddersfield

ROBS T25
80-90 Mem No: 2292

Re: Petrol tank

Post by ROBS T25 »

jojorose wrote:Thought I'd posted this yesterday but obviously not. Had a new petrol tank having flooded the station at Michael Wood and been towed 200 miles home!

Anyway have new tank and the van still reeks. Why? Got a 1983 big white one air cooled. Not very technical and obviously didnot do work myself :oops:
i had my van cripped and tuned recently at my local VW garage and had same sort of problem it turned out there is a small pipe just by the fuel filter in the middle of driver side by the sill just a thought cheers ROB
There are 3 kinds of people in this world.......
those who can count and those who cant!!!!!!!

jojorose
80-90 Mem No: 1316

Post by jojorose »

That all sounds very technical, will speak to my very aged mechanic and see what he can do.

Thanks guys