Info on box needed

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Info on box needed

Post by dickspanner »

If you have read any of my other posts you will know I have a Cosworth V6 going in my T25 crewcab.

I want to order my conversion kit but am still debating the gearbox as I don't want something that is going to keep failing on me under load.

I have been told a porshe gearbox fits easy but have no more info.

Could anybody reccomend a gearbox that will fit easy (ish) and be able to withstand the load through a cosworth V6 (it generates about 220bhp).

I am capable of modifications and welding new support brackets etc so any gearbox would be considered. (subject to availability and cost.

Cheers folks

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Ok next part of question, would a 1983 924 gearbox fit?
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

box

Post by Arvi »

didnt the 924 and 944 have the gear box in the back with the diff and the engine in the front so you might have issue physhically mating the box and new engine

i have heard stories that the 4 speed air cooled box is the most robust
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have been told that my box ( fitted to my 1.9DG WBX ) is the best std box and apparently was used on some of the Porches. The box code is "DK".

iirc Simon has a full list of box specs on the brickworks site.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I already have a 4 speed air cooled box, but I have been told they are not to clever under major load and it generally goes down to a three speed as 1st becomes ineffective. (to short a range, and you generally end up setting off in second to prevent a gear change in a few seconds etc)

I am just exploring the avenues of a alternative box before I order my conversion kit, and someone mentioned installing a porsche box and I have no idea what type of box to use.

If I did find the best porsche box eg 928, 924 etc, would I need to get hold of the drive shafts etc for the cv joints and would I need to get them modified etc.

Just wondering if anybody had experiance of this type of conversion or know of anybody.

cheers

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Cant use the 924 box as you cant bolt the engine to it.. it has a "torque tube" (propshaft) from the engine

The 2L Aircooled box is ok for 150 odd bhp.. as for low 1st, yeah ok.. but bigger diameter tyres/wheels will help..
Porsche gearboxes are not "easy" to fit... a lot of work is required..

If the 944 box could be used (but it cant unless you can swap out the input for a bellhousing and flip the diff..) the cv joints are the same as a bus...

Porsche "G50" box is prob the only option, not cheap and not an easy wasp, + adapters for the engine..

Find a spare Aircooled box, have it refreshed and keep the other for when it goes pop... but if you are "sensible" with it.. it will prob last a good while...
I had heard the bay window box can be made to fit.. these are good for 200bhp... but its the nose shift mech that will cause a headache...

Oh I am also doing a bit of research and development at the mo, I may have a solution for a heavy duty gearbox. It wont be cheap though..

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

talk to charlie (transporscher) on brickyard he's done it BUT hope you got deep pockets... And NO a porker 124 box doesnt fit...
Hope you're upgrading brakes too - if so tell us what you've fitted! :D

full throttle
80-90 Mem No: 2357

Post by full throttle »

look at my reply to chickenkoops renault 2.2 question in alternative engines forum. it lists 2 web sites relating to installing a renault un1 box as used in gt40 kits into a bus.
membership number 2357
it's nice to get what you want but you should also want what you get

philippacman
80-90 Mem No: 2371

Post by philippacman »

the best standard t25 box is the 2lt air cooled "DK" box,alteratively id have to say a 911 box?
if its not broke dont fix it, or i will ;-)

BE NICE LIFE IS TOO SHORT,drink more beer