Gearbox not level?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

polish van ben
80-90 Mem No: 5120

Gearbox not level?

Post by polish van ben »

Hi all

Gearbox went on me back in June - took it to a local guy in West Wales who has been doing all he can to get it sorted - has now had a full recon and the guy has been refitting it this week.

Problem is that on refitting he says the gearbox is not level - meaning that when he's filled it with the oil it's all flowed into the clutch end leaving the actual gearbox relatively empty - which I guess could have been the cause of my gearbox probs in first place.

I guess one option would be to fill with more oil - he says he's put three litres in which I guess is the right amount - any more and we' re gonna get more oil in the clutch - also not great

So the best option is going to be to level it somehow - just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this prob? Or even better if there was a different gearbox mount out there somewhere we should be using!

Now for the specs! It has a 1.9 TDi engine in it (a 1z I think), with a four speed petrol gearbox (code AAB) with the diesel bell housing - any advice on where we go from here would be great.

Many thanks

Ben

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: Gearbox not level?

Post by Cableguy »

Post up some pics, can't advise without seeing what it looks like.
:ok

polish van ben

Post by polish van ben »

Ah no can do as still with mechanic - will see if he can send me some

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Bit odd that some one can recondition a T25 gear box then a oil leak .Input shaft seal & oil thrower casting comes to mind.Worn gearbox input shaft seal will leak out oil simple to replace.

polish van ben

Post by polish van ben »

Sorry wasn't clear in my post - the guy ended up sending it off for recon as did not have relevant tools etc....he got it back this week and on fitting it has noticed its not level under the van.

It doesn't have an oil leak, but as its not level he's worried that all the oil is down the clutch end, leaving little or none up the gearbox end. He has another vw t25 on the yard, a petrol, he's had a look at that an the gearbox is level in comparison to mine which is not

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Maybe incorrect nose mount fitted. Need to get some pics of you can :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

petrol gearbox sits front down, diesel box is pretty much level - if your diesel box is nose down then you have the wrong gearbox front mount fitted
4 litres is my recommendation - the differential needs oil - it won't leak into the bellhousing as long as the oil thrower and seal are intact

polish van ben

Post by polish van ben »

Thanks Aidan - therefore if it's a petrol gearbox on a diesel engine, does this mean it should be nose down?

Ben

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's the mount that differs