watercooled back to Aircooled

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pete77
80-90 Mem No: 7755

watercooled back to Aircooled

Post by pete77 »

hi have hightop petrol,converted from Aircooled to dg1.9. have got cu engine with all tin bits ect.
i am thinking of selling watercooled engine and fitting cu engine.would like to increase engine size.barrals
pistons heads carb ect. where would i get bits to do this??????????????????????????????? cheers peter :?:

faggie

Re: watercooled back to Aircooled

Post by faggie »

most of the parts i used on my 2400cc conversion i got from the german tuners ie gerd weiser, tafel , , as even with postage costs it was still loads cheaper than buying in the uk from places like stateside

988mick
80-90 Mem No: 10796

Post by 988mick »

sorry lads but are you talking about converting a cu engine to 2.4..? that sounds like somthing id be into doin with one of my spare engines.
if so can you give me some info on wats needed or point me in the direction of a thread on this id really appreciate it.sorry for hijacking the thread.
83 1y Westie club joker hitop
77 panel van
74 late westy
71 early westy
Honda 1000 blade
Ktm 640

faggie

Post by faggie »

hi mick yes we are talking about a type 4 2400cc engine for info look on shop talk forums, samba , and germanlook.com , also jake rabys website is a good read its not cheap but besides fitting an external cooler it just bolt in and go , mine made just over 130bhp quite an improvement over the stock low mileage engine what made 49bhp on the same rolling road , you are better of starting with the type 4 engine out of a 411/412 not the type 2a as fitted to the t25 van as they have better heads and cooling system and need less work to improve the only reason i removed engine from my van is i wanted more power

horizontal kipper
80-90 Mem No: 2661

Post by horizontal kipper »

If you fancy a set of rare genuine 3 stud porsche 2ltr 914 heads to get cut for your larger cylinders i have a set i may part with :wink:if you wish to keep heat you will need to dump your heat exchangers unless wish to fit bay ones from a oval port type 4 motor also have a set of type 4 1700 heads cut for 104mm cylinders.

faggie

Post by faggie »

the 914 porsche 3 stud heads are the best standard heads available and are very desirable but are prone to cracking, if building a hi performance type 4 motor these are what you need , out of intrest how much are you looking for them as years ago i tried everywhere to find a good set