too much water

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Martynor
80-90 Mem No: 0

too much water

Post by Martynor »

Ok so I checked my water levels after a 100 mile trip , opened the rear flap undid the water cap and .... it vomited water all over me. Its always a bit low on water so I top it up a lot. Landing in france in the morning should I be concerned.
The Dub in the Dub. 87 hi top camper 1.9 petrol

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: too much water

Post by camper »

could be the valve in the cap on the expansion tank is faulty.Replace it .

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

if its a petrol with a plastic blue darlec cap then this is the one you want ....http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... arket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to check your old one, take it of and blow through it... it should " quack "
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Just in case you hadn't already realised: there are two bottles on the 1.9/2.1 wasserboxer. The one you can see behind the number plate (which is the overflow/expansion tank) and the main pressurized tank to the left and accessed by removing the engine lid.
Main thing to remember is that the 'Main' tank must be completely full (top up when cold) and the second tank to the max line (just below the cap.)

If in any doubt what so ever, get the 'Darlek cap' replaced for a Genuine or OEM ..absolutely not from GSF or JK only Brickwerks or VW themselves.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Martynor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Martynor »

Quick follow up, water levels seemed fine when I arrived in France so tootled off the ferry and 20 miles in and a run in with a speed bump put a stop to my gallop. Rusty jubilee clip snapped and all the water poured out. So a trip back the way I came on the back of a recovery truck to a VW garage in Morlaix,they replaced the clip and to be safe they replaced the one on the other side filled it with water and hey presto we're back in business. Oh and don't over pack the rear of the van. Thanks for the help chaps, in for a service this week will get darlek cap and maybe check all the clips.
The Dub in the Dub. 87 hi top camper 1.9 petrol

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

If you checked after 100 miles the top-up tank may be above the 'max' as the excess in the header tank has been pushed into it .... as it cooled it woulkd return to 'max' IF the Dalek cap is working correctly :wink:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure