diesle bash plate

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

diesle bash plate

Post by axeman »

hi all i put on the engine bash plate and it is obviously making contact with the engine some where had a good look around and there is no evidence of this, but there are some major vibrations coming through the whole van with the plate on if (and i now have) the plate is removed whe are back to normal vibration free (as vibration free as a diesle will ever be).

has any one else had this problem and how did you get around it.

thanks neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Re: diesle bash plate

Post by jes*b »

Do the front hangers ( where it picks up the prop bars) look distorted? Did it all line up well? Did you just add the bash plate or the bars as well? Maybe try dropping it off the rear points and hanging it a touch lower with the engine running to see if that makes a difference. Or..... Maybe a exhaust mount has gone coincidentally

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

I've had this with my van you've either managed to bend the bars or distort the mountings but working out which can be tricky :lol: what I've done is made up a spacer with two holes approx 1/2" to space down the plate on the sump side at the back and seems to work fine will post. A pick soon
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Whenever I have had vibrations it has either been exhaust mounts knackered or gear shift rod touching where it bends over the bars..

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Yep... I would also say exhaust. That one you put on Sally's van is wrong. I don't know what it is supposed to fit but it isn't a T3. Isaac and I were driving behind you at Syncropendence and he even asked me what was wrong with it and he is 7 :lol: did you not have the bash plate on at SP?

It hangs so low on the J pipe that it looked like it was going to get ripped off any second going down the farm tracks. Also looked like it had been fitted using a club hammer on the main bend?

If it isn't that it has just reminded me to tell you to change the J pipe and back box before you rip your turbo off :ok
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

When the exhaust mounts go the vibration is usually continuous and noticeably reduced for me when held steady with your booted foot.

Andy noticed my exhaust was not level at SPD last year and I thought it had been installed that way. It turned out the engine mount had dropped and the engine was almost sitting on the tray one side; big Vibes going right all sorted now.

My gearbox and sump all bear the scars of various events over the years!
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Mudlark wrote: It turned out the engine mount had dropped and the engine was almost sitting on the tray one side; big Vibes going right all sorted now.

I had something similar the other year when the bolts holding the engine mount onto the block actually sheared, engine dropped and sat on the bash plate, certainly made some funny vibrations!