Painting Mefro wheels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Painting Mefro wheels

Post by tforturton »

I posted this up in the General Chat page originally, but didn't get a single reply, so I thought I'd try here instead.
I've finally taken delivery of my 15 inch Mefro wheels, now I want to paint them black, before the tyres go on.
Should I paint the whole wheel, including the bit between the rims (ie. where the tyres go)?
What about the stud holes - should I avoid getting paint on them? Likewise, what about the face that fits against the hub? Should that be paint-free?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

tforturton

Re: Painting Mefro wheels

Post by tforturton »

Can't believe there's no response on this page either. Please help - this is a serious question!

syncrowjoker
80-90 Mem No: 2502

Post by syncrowjoker »

Would have thought powder coating better, but if u have to paint then I would advise just the outside face that you would have on view.
AKA Syncrostan

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Shhhh...don't tell him.... :rofl

Only joking...paint in the bolt holes and on the back won't be an issue...just re check your nuts after a few miles and again after a few more...powder coat quick and cheap but wet spray 2 pack will be more durable re stone chips etc...or just use em?

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Thanks for the answers. I want them black to match the ladder, wheel carrier, etc.

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

I bought a set of Mefros from B/W recently and the paint finish was very good so I slapped them on as they were :ok (silver)
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

SquareBlau

Post by SquareBlau »

Yeah, what Max & caddy said
also, as an ex-tyre fitter, the bit inside the tyre will usually be ok, but any extra paint will help protect against corrosion in the long run, Mefros I would guess to be better than most as they are designed to be left 'as is' but steelies don't always the best coatings as factory
Dave

Allanw

Post by Allanw »

A really good DIY paint is Hammerite Smooth - it takes a while to go proper hard, but once it's set, it's hard! I used the silver version, but they do a black.

There's no reason to do anything other than the front faces, but more paint will be better for corrosion protection, especially it you drive in salt etc. It certainly won't hurt.

You'll need to let it set really well, before mounting tyres, if you do the tyres beads etc as well though.
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

StuM
80-90 Mem No: 8281

Post by StuM »

I've seen issues with paint flaking on rims causing air loss in tyres. With this in mind, I'd say that unless having them professionally sprayed with a suitable finish, I would only do the face (and rear if you want but not sure I'd bother). Having refurbed a few sets of wheels myself, I'd now only get it done professionally once you price up materials and your time. That said, different in your case as the wheels are new so don't need hours of laborious prep.
ex-1985 Type 2 T3 Transporter - 1.9 DG - The Van's Blog

cpsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 9132

Post by cpsyncro »

Don't know if you have sorted out your wheel painting but this is my 2p as a painter and what I would do

Yes I would paint the back lip of the front face just in case you can see it if the tyre has no anti curb lip but most off road type have this lip hanging over the rim so you may not have to paint this part plus if you do this bit realy dose need keying so as some one pointed out the paint can flake if not done and result in a slow flat

If you mask up well round the arches of the van you can jack the van up and use old nuts to hold the rim on and this will mask off the thread too then just spin the rim and move the spray out or in to get a consistan film build

Depending on the haw viscus ( thick ) your paint is you will need to key the surface with nothing more than P600 wet&dry paper as ruffed will show lines in the finish job.

Hope this helps and all the best
1989 carravelle c convertion 2.1 petrol gear box undecided lol working progress

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Thanks for the various replies. Got to be honest, I chickened out at the last moment, and left them silver. They're now on the bus, and they look great. I've had loads of people stop and ask about the bus since I changed the wheels (you wouldn't think it would make that much difference), including some guy who wanted to buy it off me. So they're staying as they are for the time being....

Chris_gaut
80-90 Mem No: 7828

Post by Chris_gaut »

where did you get them from? I am looking to put some steels back on as i think they look cool. what size tyres did you stick on them? can you get a chrome hub cap on them?

Chris
1986 autohomes Kamper 1.9 petrol
1990 Doka 1.6td
mk5 golf 1.9td

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Bought them from Brickwerks. Look under Mefro wheels. They come in 15 or 16 inch sizes. I'm using general grabber ATs - the new ones with the crosshatch tread pattern, size 215/75/15, which meant an almost identical rolling diameter to the 14s I was using before. You can't fit hubcaps on them, the hub nut sticks out quite a way through the centre holes.

BellaBugBus
80-90 Mem No: 12312

Post by BellaBugBus »

Don't know if this will work cause it's a link to a facebook page but these are my Mefro's, bought from Brickwerks sprayed black by a mate then detailed in body colour round the edge by me.
They are the 16" version with 205/60 16 van tyres on that makes them the same rolling diameter as standard
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bella, 1.9 petrol red and white hightop camper

Chris_gaut
80-90 Mem No: 7828

Post by Chris_gaut »

wheels look great bella big bus and so does your fuel tank. MMM might get them for my Doka.
1986 autohomes Kamper 1.9 petrol
1990 Doka 1.6td
mk5 golf 1.9td