fitted fridge - have a question about venting.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kemlo
80-90 Mem No: 10179

fitted fridge - have a question about venting.

Post by Kemlo »

Hi,

Just had a replacement fridge (RM4180/81 - whichever is the gas version) fitted into my Mosaik Westy Joker. Been reading a lot of posts about vents etc (which I unbderstood to be for airflow/cooling only)

The van had a gas fridge before and didn't have these vents, just the flue. I still don't have the vents fitted (but as yet haven't really used the fridge).

My question is that given the gas fridge fitted originally didn't have the vents why does the new one need them?

Looked at plenty of photo's of original westys - look same as mine in terms of fridge install.

Thanks

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: fitted fridge - have a question about venting.

Post by Ralf85 »

Mine has vents to let air circulate to cool the fridge at the rear. The system can get pretty hot particularly in warm weather and sometimes even the fridge's fan kicks in to help on hot days. I have no idea what would happen without vents, but no doubt somebody on the forum will have the answer.
:)
Patrick

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I think the original westy fridge arrangement has a vent cover on the front bottom* of the fridge and a side vent in the top of the kitchen unit with a fan to assist the airflow over the heat exchanger. I think the fan is automatically switched according to how hot it gets in there rather than running constantly. So as far as your replacement fridge goes, if you lack the vented front bottom* it's doubtful you'll get a decent air intake, although there should also be a hole round the back for venting any possible gas leak* as well (in the floor usually).

* Not to be taken out of context :wink:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

hulky
80-90 Mem No: 6262

Post by hulky »

:ok

Yes i can second that 1664 mine has vents at the bottom, left side and also at the back top next to the window.

John
Life is for living

Kemlo
80-90 Mem No: 10179

Post by Kemlo »

There's a decent enough gap around the back of the fridge unti to let the warm air escape - not vent at the front, but there is a gap where a vent probaby used to live.

The firdge got very cold when I ran it on Gas at the wekend for the day, so I'm not too worried.

I did notice that there was a bit of a whiff when it had been running for a while, but it didn't smell like gas (though my knowlege of wjat ancient LPG gas smells like is non existant), I put it down to the fact that I haven't had the fridge running in the camper before and it was probably just an 'old' smell in the board/panel behind the kitchen unit.

Thanks for the respnses though cleared it up nicely.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

If it hadn't been run on gas for a while the smell may just have been accumulated dust burning off. Like a gas fire when it's first lit after a long hot summer - depending on how old you are that last bit may sound almost mythical
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!