An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

knightman2749
80-90 Mem No: 8928

Power to Fridge not working

Post by knightman2749 »

Think I need to find someone to give me a habitation check on my 1989 Westfalia

I live in North Hykeham just outside Lincoln

Went out over the weekend camping in Mildenhall woods could get neither power for the fridge through hookup nor from gas. Fridge just clicked rapidly when I tried to start with gas

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Re: Power to Fridge not working

Post by mrdp »

Hi Just a thought, Is the van level. I don't want to teach you too suck eggs, but lots of people ( including myself :oops: ) have thought they have a bust fridge, only to level it up and then it works . Mine needs to be really level or slightly higher at the back of the fridge end, then works fine. Worth a check before you get it all out ( Like i Did :oops: ) Good luck. :ok

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

If your fridge is clicking that is normal. When you hold the round starter button down does the gas not want to start? The gas should make a small pop sound as it lights and the clicking then stops. However if gas has not been used for a while you may need to try this several times before it stays on.

When you had electric hook up connected did you check that the circuit breakers down near the floor below the side table was working? I always press the white button once hooked up. If power is coming through ok then the breakers will trip. You then re-set by pressing the blue button and pushing the circuit breaks back up. Your problem may be as simple as a bad electrical connection where the outside mains plug resides. Good luck.
Patrick

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

mrdp wrote:Hi Just a thought, Is the van level. I don't want to teach you too suck eggs, but lots of people ( including myself :oops: ) have thought they have a bust fridge, only to level it up and then it works . Mine needs to be really level or slightly higher at the back of the fridge end, then works fine. Worth a check before you get it all out ( Like i Did :oops: ) Good luck. :ok

Wouldn't make any difference - the fridge never got started!

OP... ensure that the knob is on 2 or 3 and is being pressed in fully as the clicking of the spark generator occurs. Then the lit gas will cause the clicking to stop as said. Then release the knob after a short while.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jocko
80-90 Mem No: 11124

Post by jocko »

I thought my fridge had gone caput this week too. During the night on EHU the fridge stopped working, on the run home switched to 12v and it started working again. Yesterday went out again, same thing stopped working during night, worked on 12v on way home. Any ideas what is causing this?
Tin top C reg van to camper conversion. 1.9 golf tdi conversion.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

:)

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

jocko
80-90 Mem No: 11124

Post by jocko »

R0B wrote::)

thought I would try and keep down the many posts on fridge problems :lol:
Tin top C reg van to camper conversion. 1.9 golf tdi conversion.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Keeping threads down isnt an issue fella.If folk start answering your question.Then the op's question goes by the by.And if folk start answering both questions.It can get somewhat confusing.As to who is replying to what question. :)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"