Golf GTD conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

I've done this conversion. There's rather a lot more than the sump to swap.

The intercooler will fit in the rear quarter, with a motorbike cooling fan over it.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing this conversion again. The 1.6 diesel engines have a nasty habit of cracking their heads between the valves, which then spreads into the oil and waterways and you have a dead engine.

A 1.9 AAZ TD motor will be much more suitable for the application as it's more robust and far less laggy in it's power delivery - it provides a far more wider spead of torque, more suited to these large vehicles.

Think about it - you're attempting to push almost 2t about with a 1.6 engine. Does that REALLY work in today's world?
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Andyvandy
80-90 Mem No: 2700

Diesel Engine

Post by Andyvandy »

I have a T25 Westy with a 1.9 TD which is really great. The previous owner changed the original 1.6 D because it was worn out.

It is great to drive, with lots of power.

My old van which I am in the process of selling is a 1.6 Diesel and horribly underpowered!

Andy
Andy with a 1990 Westy Callifornia.
Member No. 2700

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

The GTD lump is the same as the 1.6TD in a T3 apart from a couple of little bits..

Intercooler.
Different LDA on the injection pump.
Bigger injectors.

You would be better fitting these to a T3 1.6TD engine with solid lifters and using the stock T3 exhaust manifold and turbo for ease of mounting.

the JX fitted to the T3 is 69hp, the GTD 80hp, the difference is the injectors and the intercooler and the injection pump is more tuneable and more suited for those who like to tinker without having to go through the principle of moments to work out where to start welding bits on the T3 JX LDA!
If you use the GTD pump and swap the throttle linkage then you will only need a small lump in the engine lid.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks