16" damper extention with Andreas springs

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

timtheenchanter
80-90 Mem No: 3498

16" damper extention with Andreas springs

Post by timtheenchanter »

Hi guys,
I am going to swap my Trailmaster dampers for a set of new 16” dampers from Brickwerks, as I am not 100% happy with the damping on the Trailmaster units.

Apparently I need an extension piece for the front dampers to work with the longer springs.

My question is; where can I find/buy these from? I seem to remember someone on here manufacturing extensions but cannot find them now I am looking.

Thanks

Tim
TDI 'Autosleeper' Trident Syncro.
'It's not that lifes to short,just death is so bloody long'.

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Re: 16" damper extention with Andreas springs

Post by lhd »

Brickwerks sell them, I have a pair here that I got from them.

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob.

timtheenchanter

Thanks Rob,

I spoke to brickwerks today, and was told they didn't do anything to extend the dampers and I would have to out source it.

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

I fitted a lift kit to mine and I used standard 16" dampers with standard springs and didnt use piston extensions or any such nonsense and its rides high and has no suspension issues at all. I did however fit longer dampers at the rear when I lifted it.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

Speak to Dave at Futbus....

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

cant you just use the beetle top shock bits.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

timtheenchanter

FUTBUS, thats the guy.

Thanks everyone.

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

timtheenchanter wrote:FUTBUS, thats the guy.

Thanks everyone.

Hes the guy who did some of Lloyde's engine conversion :D
syncropaddy

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

I'm running Andreas springs and standard 16" dampers. All work carried out by Dave at Futbus. Couldn't be happier.

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

Im running Andreas Springs and trailmaster shocks and concur that these shocks are less than ideal.

At SP9 this weekend we had Pauls camper on Andreas Springs and OME 16 shocks, Dai's syncro special on Andreas Springs and Original 14" shocks and mine on Andreas Springs and Trailmaster shocks. Driving each others vans around the field we all agreed Pauls van was the best ride.
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

i think Andreas himself stated that he favored the std 16" shocks with his springs. i`ve just had avo re-valve mine to cope with a front spring upgrade so it`ll be nice to see how they compare to the before version.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Had my Andreas springs fitted at Futbus two weeks ago. Having done some research including discussions with Mark (Mudlark) I decided to go with standard 14" Syncro shocks fron BW. Dave fitted a set of his top ball joint spacers and rear shock extensions. This combination has given me a significant lift and infinitely better handling over the tired original springs and shocks. Well pleased with the result :ok

We've just had a week in the Lakes which allowed for nearly 900 road miles and a bit of mild off roading. Could really notice the difference. Just wished I could have made SP however the Devon meet is in the diary so that should be an opportunity to try them out a bit more seriously.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Sorry just only saw this post now you do not need shock extensions on the front only an 8mm collar on the top of the front shock which you can either make or get from baxter you will need shock extenders for the rears or longer shocks, you will need upper ball joint spacers on the front which you can either get from Ian (silverbullet) or futbus whilst 16 shocks are the best combination you can get away with you 14 shocks the came out in the middle of our tests at SP the 16 hd shocks being the better ride. Hope thats of help Paul
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

jebiga41 wrote:you will need upper ball joint spacers on the front

Why? If you are using a standard shock with a standard stroke the top arm angular movement will not increase or decrease. You will only need to fit ball joint spacers if you fit a shock with a longer stroke as this will take the top arm movement out of the standard design range. Fitting different springs and /or spacers will not change the amount of angular movement from the top arm. How can it as its the piston stroke on the shock that controls the suspension range of movement not the spring?

I have been running 16" shocks with a Syncro Services lift kit up front since I got the van and I have no issues at all. I only needed to check the tracking. On my other Syncro, which is an empty van with nothing in it, it is running a completely standard original setup and the height from wheel centre to wheel arch is only a few millimetres lower. It appears that these Andreas springs restore a heavy camper to the standard ride height. Again why do you need a top ball joint spacer?
syncropaddy

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I presumed, maybe wrongly? That it's angle will change, not the maximum angle because as you say the shock stops it going to far. But it's 'rest' angle will be more, so the ball joint spacer puts the ballpoint at a nicer angle to hopefully make the ballpoint last longer?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you