Which drive shaft is it?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr_bricolage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Which drive shaft is it?

Post by mr_bricolage »

I am getting a clicking noise from rear of the van when i go round roundabouts. Which CV joint or driveshaft is it. I seem to remember that it will be the nearside. I need to confirm.

Also will it be simpler to replace the driveshaft or is it better to do the CV joint. I've done em on a Mini and they are a sod.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

They're not really sods, there's 4 at the back and any that have play or split boots ought to be done. Its probably an inner but much easier to just climb under and find out by waggling and looking than some black magic rule about which is clicking (that I've never heard of anyway, think you might be thinking of FWD ones), and then find you've done the wrong one :roll: £25 each at GSF

The outers fare better than the inners but if any show signs take the shaft out completely and do a better job. Inners can be done in situ
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

trickydicky
80-90 Mem No: 2566

Post by trickydicky »

Must admit when I did mine I just did all of it, all the way to replacing the bearings and brake shoes, not the cheapest option but at least I know it's all good now. The big hub nuts the pig though. As a rule you will need to buy the socket or beg, borrow one.
It's nothing a great deal of time and money can't fix
86' 1.9 D.G. Autosleeper poptop in white.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Must admit when I did mine I just did all of it, all the way to replacing the bearings and brake shoes,

Ditto (and the backplates) :roll:

Wiki Tips, Tools and tricks shows an impact spanner that makes getting that big nut off quite easy, quite cheep too, c.f.a 3/4" T-bar and pudlok :shock:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1