Syncro caravelle wanted

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Syncro caravelle wanted

Post by v-lux »

My sister is looking for a vehicle to use for Flyball events. Flyball is a competition where dogs are kind of raced against the clock in a relay sort of fashion in case you were wondering.

So she needs a vehicle big enough to seat 5 family members, fit a cage in the back for the dogs, pull a lightweight caravan and be able to get out of a muddy field, hence she asked me about Syncros.

I initially suggested a doka, but she'd prefer the dogs to be inside.

Preferably would be diesel, but everything considered. More importantly it needs to be mechanically sound, I'll never hear the end of it if she buys a rotter.

What you got?

JerseyMike
80-90 Mem No: 10761

Re: Syncro caravelle wanted

Post by JerseyMike »

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=769731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petrol but looks ok

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Yup, saw that one. I've asked if anyone can go have a look...

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

quite a few tin tops on mobile.de at the moment
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

max.karisma
80-90 Mem No: 3693

Post by max.karisma »

I do have five rear seats of my caravelle to sell (in very good condition) should you find a van with all the other requirements you need, Max
Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today, James Dean

Jedser
80-90 Mem No: 11011

Post by Jedser »

Thanks all

I am not in a major hurry as the longer it takes the more money i can save. I am willing to add seats etc so thanks for the offer Max.Karisma, I may well take you up on that. Hope you'll have some time free to fit them Alan!
The wine wasn't breathing so I had to give it mouth to mouth.

Jedser
80-90 Mem No: 11011

Post by Jedser »

Hi all just found this on ebay - What sort of price is this worth? I know its not a T3 but I have not been bitten with the love affair bug yet! and am really looking for a work horse to get my dogs and kids around. what do you experts think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transporte ... 4d00c67db0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The wine wasn't breathing so I had to give it mouth to mouth.

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Post by mrmule »

T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

Post by Synkraut »

Jedser wrote:Hi all just found this on ebay - What sort of price is this worth? I know its not a T3 but I have not been bitten with the love affair bug yet! and am really looking for a work horse to get my dogs and kids around. what do you experts think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transporte ... 4d00c67db0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Jedser,

we have both a t25 syncro caravelle and a t4 syncro caravelle (I use the LPG converted petrol T4 as a daily driver for my business use - approx. 20.000-30.000 miles per year - would be a shame to do this to a t25). The T4 is of course more modern (airbags, fuel efficiency, availability of spare parts). Both will get you out of a muddy field, providing that you have proper tyres on them. You won't have people flashing and waving to you in a t4, even if you meet another t4 syncro, because hardly anybody can recognize it is a syncro (unless you lift it and have the spare wheel carrier on the back). The ride is not nearly as soft and smooth as in a t25 syncro (because of this feature, the BBC used them for wildlife filming many years after production ended) - dogs (and kids) like that!

As far as the t4 you found on ebay is concerned, judging from the cabin photo, it looks as if it has a rear diff (a rare thing, front diffs weren't available at all for t4's) make sure it works. How old is the van? It has a 2.4litre diesel engine (78hp). It's nicknamed ship's diesel over here in Germany - it's pretty loud, if you push the gas pedal, you can wait a second or two before anything happens, but it is normally good for very high mileage. Judging from the look of the rear wheelhouses in the loading compartment, I'd say it has not only been used for furniture transport (more rocks and boulders I guess). Compared to a "normal" car, the price for maintanance and spare parts on a t4 is relatively high. If you want to get one, find one with a TDI or a 2.5Litre petrol engine and do an LPG conversion on the latter.

For daily use and high mileage, I would recommend a t4. Otherwise, the t25 is sooo much more likeable, especially the syncro!
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;