gear box oil leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

acheyvan
80-90 Mem No: 1791

gear box oil leak

Post by acheyvan »

Hi need some help just dont know what else to do on or way to van vest to descovered a major oil leak got to the show had a great time came home with new seal in pocket Week later striped box out fitted seal. Happy days van on road again. Then on sat 13th Nov we set off in van only to get towed home. another major oil leak from same place van has not been more than 50 miles since van vest. THANKS

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

some shell out for the VAG oil seal, a lot dearer but how often go you want to do it, mine was replaced about 10K miles ago and is still ok bought from GSF
member 1168

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Where is this seal fitting?

Usually a seal will either seal, or it won't rather than seal for a bit and then fail... unless something else is creating problems.

If (for instance) its the input shaft seal, it may be that your input shaft bearing (in the flywheel) is dead or that the input shaft is bent.

Always try to find out why something has failed, rather than just replacing it. :)

MG

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Sorry to hog the thread - but i have a gear box oil leak (that is making my clutch slip). I can see where the oil is leaking from (inbetween the gearbox and the engine where the clutch is (i think!)).

What is this seal called ? I would like to go to a garage and say "please change my £22£@@ seal and replace the clutch please" as opposed to " heres a blank cheque - fix it".

Thanks

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

If it's gear oil then it's the input shaft seal, about £4 plus lots of labour, if it's engine oil then it's the front crankshaft seal, about £10 and even more labour.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Thanks dude.

I think its gear oil. The engine oil level doesn't seem to be going down - yet the gear box oil is!

Im going to need the clutch changing also.

Any idea's on how much labour ? Lots sounds very scary.

Anyway, i haven't got a choice really have i! Just going to have to hope i don't get ripped off.

Thanks again

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

I ended up paying about £300 for a non VW mechaninic to do it, take it to osomeone who knows these vans they'll get it done quicker = cheaper
member 1168

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Not too alarming to do it yourself, depending on what you've done before and what tools you've got...

Box out, remove release bearing guide, oik out old seal (difficult bit), nicely drift in new one (lips lubed first!) etc.

When doing clutch, check back for a few things to fettle and clean up.

Might consider checking/replacing spigot shaft bearing, hell why not have the flywheel off as well, and clean up the surface that the flywheel seal runs on and change that as well?

Ok, I know why!
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Since you be in Norfolk might be worth asking a certain M0cki for a quote.