Which CV ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

uglyboatman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Which CV ?

Post by uglyboatman »

Hi, today my current problem of a knocking from the back of the van suddenly got worse ! My plan up until today was to keep an eye on if the knocking - if it got worse then as soon as i could afford replace the CV joint, but on the way to work the knocking went from just happening around corners on to full on loud knocking, even on some straights and i noticed it stopped when i pressed the clutch in - so has become more urgent.

I parked up and at dinnertime and did some checking over, made sure nothing was loose and gave the driveshafts a move back & forward like was suggested on a previous post. Convinced i would be going back home on an aa truck i was quite suprised when the kncoking has now gone, just a few times i heard it like originally, around corners.

On the way back i got a CV from GSF so im hoping the vans going to hold out until saturday.

My problem is originally i thought the right hand side was the problem as it seemed to be happening around left hand bends, but when i moved the driveshafts back and forward - the right one had a bit of resistance when pushing back & forward, but the left shaft has little or no resistance at the wheel side and makes and makes a clunk when it is fully pushed to wheel.

Common sense suggests the no resistance is down to no grease, am i right in saying the left sounds like the offending side ? Im also assuming if theres no grease there it's going to need this new CV installing i got, as just packing it out with grease again will only last for a while as it must be going somewhere ?

cheers

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

CV Joints

Post by trundletruc »

I suggest that if one CV is on the way out, they will all be on the way out! I got a kit from Just campers and did the lot. Peace of mind for another 100,000 miles or so.

Whilst you have one shaft off you might as well do the other end anyway.

Incidentally the drive shafts are supposed to move in and out across the van to compensate for the wheels going up and down. Mine were knocking yet you could not feel any play when you tried to turn the drive shafts. The knocking went after replacing the CVs.
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

mine were knocking a while ago! i got a replacement drive shaft jsut incase. packed em out with grease ragged them about a bit an they've been fine since!! it might be worth checking the allen bolts are all tight! in my experiance the knocking made by cvs and the knocking made prior to drive bolts shearing are differnt!!!

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

thanks,

another journey and the knocking hasn't come back as bad yet so im hoping it's going to last until saturday as i don't fancy crawling about under the van at 10pm ..quite possibly in the snow.

Looked in the haynes and it looks pretty straightforward, im just hoping my socket extension will fit in that trailing arm area by the wheel

cheers

missusjen

Post by missusjen »

When one of ours started knocking - after a really good wiggle to redistribute all the grease, it lasted another 2000 miles before we had to change it........bizarrely........ :lol:

"HEY, LOOK AT MY CAR"

I bid you farewell.......for now.......

alden1957
80-90 Mem No: 1700

Post by alden1957 »

Hi
Did u also squeeze the gaiters to see if they air leak..they cud be split and losing the grease making cv dry and causing knockin...good luck with job..
Cheers
Al and Den... 1981 Danbury Aircooled Camper 1795cc LPG'd by "Gasure" of course...
Moby 07749 739818
alden@vwt25.com