Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Post Reply
peteinnit
Registered user
Posts: 100
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 22:18
80-90 Mem No: 12410
Location: London and Hastings

Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by peteinnit »

Hi all,
I had my 2ltr Aircooled tuned a coupla weeks back and all was great for a trip to Wales. In Wales I then carelessly reversed into a stony grass bank and since then it's been 'chuggy' sometimes, more so when going uphill, other times it feels normal. The bank put 3" of earth up the tail pipe (removed), and bent/split it away from the silencer joint which I have managed to bolt back together so it's not blowing and there is a small dent in the silencer about 2" diameter and 1/2 inch deep. My question is, would this dent impact performance in the way mentioned? I can't see that it would have done anything to the engine set up, but if the exhaust isn't likely to be the culprit I'll have to try and find a mechanic near Fairbourne, Wales.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI, 4 speed - 1982

davidoft1
Trader
Posts: 3105
Joined: 27 May 2009, 18:56
80-90 Mem No: 16628
Location: hayling island

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by davidoft1 »

Generally speaking if everything is fine until something happens it’s probably the something, it’s quite possible a baffle has become dislodged and is floating about

peteinnit
Registered user
Posts: 100
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 22:18
80-90 Mem No: 12410
Location: London and Hastings

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by peteinnit »

Yeah that makes sense, which i guess means a new exhaust, when i get it home. At present it's got the standard exhaust, is there any benefit in getting a 2 tip system over the standard? Cheers
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI, 4 speed - 1982

davidoft1
Trader
Posts: 3105
Joined: 27 May 2009, 18:56
80-90 Mem No: 16628
Location: hayling island

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by davidoft1 »

peteinnit wrote: ↑27 Sep 2026, 14:38 Yeah that makes sense, which i guess means a new exhaust, when i get it home. At present it's got the standard exhaust, is there any benefit in getting a 2 tip system over the standard? Cheers

The cheapo 2 tips don’t fit a t25 , I would keep stock personally

JeffRoo
Registered user
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Sep 2016, 10:28
80-90 Mem No: 15579
Location: Taunton

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by JeffRoo »

If you mean the 2 tip GT exhaust from JK, then go for the stainless steel one. The empi one splits in the middle in a short time. Ask me how I know. 
as for difference, probably only the sound, unless someone else has a different opinion. 

ahh, you have 2l air cooled, my engine is standard early 1.9DG so unsure if it fit yours - sorry, should have read closer before replying. 
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

peteinnit
Registered user
Posts: 100
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 22:18
80-90 Mem No: 12410
Location: London and Hastings

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by peteinnit »

Seems to be a bit of a minefield which exhaust supplier to choose, from reading through all the wikis on the subject although there's not many posts about the Aircooled. Think I'm gonna stick with stock, as I don't wanna mess around with the rear valance. Brickwerks seems to get consistent good votes, don't think Speedshop do one for Aircooled, have asked them and also JP. Justkampers s/s seems to get mixed reviews. Any others I should consider?

Cheers
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI, 4 speed - 1982

User avatar
mioba
Registered user
Posts: 613
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 11:48
80-90 Mem No: 7850
Location: Nottingham

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by mioba »

Take exhaust off and see if chugging stops.
Sounds like you have exhaust restriction due to the mishap.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

peteinnit
Registered user
Posts: 100
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 22:18
80-90 Mem No: 12410
Location: London and Hastings

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by peteinnit »

OK, so I managed to get it home and have a proper look after noticing the heater elbow pipe was looser than normal on the way back. There is aluminium heater pipe connecting the heat exchangers to the heater blower distributor pipe and the heater elbow, which had split on both sides and had more holes in it, would this affect the running as explained above? The alu pipe is only loosely pushed into the heat exchangers and heater pipes, is this normal? It seems a little rubbish as you can't clamp them together properly, but I've looked through the manual and usual parts suppliers and can't find any specific parts for this connection. The impact has also loosened the 2 pipes that go from the heat exchanger to the silencer joint, at the exchanger end which I've stuffed with some gun gum until I can get to do the full replacement over the winter. These may well be the original exchangers, I've had it for 20 years, so they're definitely that old, so due for replacement anyway. The cab has also been a bit smelly since the event.

Cheers,
Peter
T25 2.0l Aircooled CI, 4 speed - 1982

User avatar
mioba
Registered user
Posts: 613
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 11:48
80-90 Mem No: 7850
Location: Nottingham

Re: Engine 'chugging' intermittently

Post by mioba »

Sounds like you have found some bits that need attention. They would need doing anyhow. If they affect the chugging you wont know I guess till you fix those bits.
The joys of T25 ownership. They just keep giving.
Keep us updated!
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Post Reply