It was as Aidan pointed out , the bracket was on the wrong side of the box as well as some very corroded and worn parts that i have now replaced, all gears now fully operational and a very positive input.
I had this recently having had the engine/box out out for an engine rebuild.
Undone the 2 bolts and slid the bracket to the correct side.
All happy again.
Great forum and great help!
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love
I have taken on a project of a 1982 diesel Viking roofed van. It needs a lot of work but first I need to get her running.
Engine replaced with JX turbo diesel (running) with 5 speed 3H 0107 gearbox by previous owners but not driven since.
The previous owner had broken the gearstick trying to get it moving. Now welded and strengthened.
It has a 5 speed front lever box with pyramids and a front rod with the reverse finger block. Gearstick ball joint mounted on front box.
The rear rod and selector lever are unknown history. The selector has a plastic raised top extension held on with jubilee clips
I have removed and cleaned the whole system and replaced rod and gear lever bushes.
After resetting it all there seems to be the repeat of the gear lever ball snagging on the gear selector lever.
I would be grateful if someone could advise whether the plastic piece above the gear selector has a use and a guide as to how to identify whether the gear selector and rear rod is correct / will work for the current set up.
I Had a 1.9dg 5speed Viking roofed many years ago when my boys were young, they had great fun scampering into the roof with their friends on camping trips.
I saw this and hankered after the roof and thought she was not too far gone to deserve some refurbishment. https://share.icloud.com/photos/076GT1z ... yAQMX80wOQ
I don’t know if this iCloud link will show the picture otherwise having trouble understanding how to attach a photo.
one issue that would give me a start point is to know whether the gearbox selector and cup are the same for all models.
I seem to have identified the front rod and selector box as suitable for the 5 speed from the pictures on here so now want to firm up on the rear rod and selector. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
OK
I could view Paul's picture
It looks like someone has added some tube to the top of the socket to make it deeper so it acts on the ball of the gearbox selector lever.
I suspect you have the rear half of a petrol gear linkage set up maybe obtained as a set from a petrol 5 speed to get the gearstick and front assemblies
The diesel cup is deeper, the diesel rear linkage rod is bent differently and the bracket that bolts to the gearbox and holds the rear linkage bush sandwich assembly is subtley different. As is the gearbox mount.
One of those conundrums, without having a known watercooled diesel post 1983 linkage rear half to hand to compare it is difficult to advise better
The following image is taken from a Samba thread on gear linkages, and shows the different shapes of the petrol and diesel linkages for both 2WD and Syncro vans:
The linkages are all roughly the same length but they have different shapes to clear the various obstructions on the underside of the van. Also, as well as the selector cup being a different length, the gearbox mounting plate holding the rear shift bearing is also a different shape.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
Thanks Clift, that is so useful and the link to the Samba thread, certainly enough to get me a couple of steps further to a good result.
Ill try and find out how to post pictures and update any experience I think helpful in my exploits.