Not the usual question about alloys

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

irish.david
80-90 Mem No: 3347

Not the usual question about alloys

Post by irish.david »

I've recently got my hands on 4 16" Merc ML 320 alloys for fixing up and fitting to the van. Problem is i'm not sure what to do about the spare. As we all know i can't use the original 14" in the event of a puncture, cause the VC would try and rip my differential to pieces. I was thinking about trying to get a cheap 16" wheel off ebay but can't be sure that'll it'll fit in the space under the radiator where the current 14" spare lives. I suppose that i could mount it on the back but this seems like a lot of extra effort that i don't want to get bogged down in. Anyone tried a 16" wheel in the current spare wheel space?

Cheers

Dave

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

I didn't think Syncro's had the spare under the radiator. Mine hasn't - I'm trying to figure out where best to put mine at the moment.... :?

irish.david

Post by irish.david »

Spare is definitely underneath radiator at the front. Recently redid the wiring to my leisure battery so i had an initimate journey all around that area of the van.

Dave

amulet
80-90 Mem No: 2500

Post by amulet »

Try sticking the spare either on the back or on the roof.

The most you'll get under the front is a 14inch wheel (i think).

Whilst you're at it get a second spare - you should run both wheels sharing the same axel on tires with the same amount of tread so in the event of a problem with one you should change the other too, otherwise you run the risk of also having to change your VC - and take it from me that ain't cheap.

Andrew
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape; If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Some vans had the spare under the van at the front, others had a solid bash plate there and either had the spare under the rear seat (in a doka) or had a bolt-up point at the back of the van (in a Caravelle).

Either way your new wheels ain't gonna fit in either location, so you will have to look at a new one, such as a swing-away carrier on the back, or mounting it on the roof, as Andy has suggested.

My spare's still washing about on the floor inside my van. I guess I'll get round to mounting it at some point......
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

amulet
80-90 Mem No: 2500

Post by amulet »

Diamond Hell wrote: I guess I'll get round to mounting it at some point......

make sure you use plenty of lube for that I hear that it can be particularily chaffing...
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape; If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

Why you dirty little....... :lol:
Diamond Hell

Trundler

Post by Trundler »

Steady lads.... :)

Anybody know a good source of a rear-mount spare wheel carrier. It seems the most elegant solution but those on foreign sites seem hellishly expensive!

I will get a spare the same size as the other wheels but I'm not going to the expense of two :o

I think the VC can cope if you keep the distance covered on the spare to a minimum. Walter Hurlimann reckons long highway miles on different size tyres are the problem, and he recommends rotating wheels every 5000km...

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

he recommends rotating wheels every 5000km

As do all those who 'know' Syncros.#

If your fifth wheel is included in your rotation then you should only need one spare as it will be worn the same as the other four wheels.

When considering the price of the spare wheel carriers try to bear in mind they are new and are designed to support the weight of your spare for years.
Diamond Hell

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

They do come up from time to time... the other place is on the front, as Terry had his mounted, though that involved a Bull-bar setup. Not on Diesels though I'd suggest, cooling can be a bit marginal in very hot weather, but have seen it on others, even the Audi 5 cylinder conversions, and apparently they cool OK.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Trundler

Post by Trundler »

Looks ugly on the front though :(

Might have to save up....again :x

irish.david

Post by irish.david »

To be honest i'm kinda thinking of just keeping the 14" spare and treating it like one of those little joke space saver spare wheels. In the event of a puncture it'll be a crawl to the nearest puncture repair place. Judging by what some VC's have been through in the stories in this forum it should be able to last a short distance at low speed on a wonky spare.

Dave

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

I run 225/70/15 on alloys and I bought a 5th on e bay and strap the spare to the engine cover
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

By trying to use ure original 14 as a spare u will f_____ ure VC in less than a mile.
There are syncro guide lines for a reason.

terryvanman
80-90 Mem No: 737

Post by terryvanman »

I think it looks ok on the front

suck squeeze bang blow, the cycle of a 4 stroke