Starting after being left for a few weeks

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Starting after being left for a few weeks

Post by Michael4 »

It takes 40 seconds to start if left for a few weeks.

Our 1.9DG has always had a problem. In normal use starting is absolutely fine but leave the van for a couple of weeks and it will take around 40 seconds of churning to get the fuel back up to the carb, then it starts instantly and runs well.

I don't think this is evaporation since if you put it away cold after starting and it hasn't warmed up the same thing happens

Thinking there was a non return valve in the pump I replaced it last year but this has had no effect. 

So what to do? I suppose I could put in an electric pump for 'priming' but I really don't want to complicate things and surely it would be better to solve the problem itself rather than make a 'work round?'

Do others have this problem?
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

simonmarsh
80-90 Mem No: 15712

Re: Starting after being left for a few weeks

Post by simonmarsh »

I have the same problem and our 1980 CU engine has an electric pump!
Not sure it takes 40 seconds but after a month takes a while.
1980 2 litre CU petrol engine 4 speed gearbox (Devon Moonraker)
1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

KateLovesPurple
80-90 Mem No: 17577

Post by KateLovesPurple »

I had similar problems with my old bay window running DRLA's. So I installed a fuel tap in the engine bay which helped, but I also wired in a push button on the dash board to prime the fuel system, running the fuel pump, before starting it as mine was setup that the fuel pump wouldn't run unless the engine was actually running, relying on the fuel in the carb to start it. Safety in case of an accident so the fuel pump would shut off if the engine stopped.

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

So...can I keep the mechanical pump for running and install a small in line pump for 'priming'?

Can the mechanical pump pull or push fuel through an electric pump when it is not running?
Where would it be best to install the electrical one? Near tank or near carb?
How would I know when it has done its job or are they audible like an old fashioned SU pump clicking away?

To be safe it would be controlled by a push button near the dash so it cannot be left running.

Does this make any sense? Tell me the flaws in the plan!

KateLovesPurple
80-90 Mem No: 17577

Post by KateLovesPurple »

Sorry, I think I misread your original post. I read it as you had an electric pump already.
No you can't put both in unless you put them in parallel I guess. Best option might be a fuel tap then? Or ditch the mechanical pump and go electric. Go for a rotary pump like a carter rather than a solenoid like a facet and check the fuel pressure. A carter rotary universal pump should be the right pressure without the need for a regulator.
It gets more complicated though as you will need to wire it in with an alternator triggered relay so it only runs when the engine is running. I also wired in an inertia switch so in the event of a crash, it would cut the power to the pump.

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Thanks for that, it all seems a bit complicated though and I still don't understand what is causing the problem.

Surely they didn't have this problem when new?

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Could be float chamber not retaining fuel or evapped overtime until pump.refills it.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

An additional check valve around the firewall might help.
Or fuel tap, or inline hand pump like small boat engines need. But then you have to open the lid.

E D I T just realized thet you can put those under the van beside the chassis rail where the tank outlet is. That is accessible from outside.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Lots of ideas here but a warning about those boat primer bulbs. Those that I have tried react badly to 'new' petrol and go quite hard before splitting when squeezed really hard.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Fuel filter needs changing or/and a knackered fuel pump......
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Don't get a primer bulb you don't need one.. and it's a failure point you don't want. Depending on how long its sitting there should be fuel in the bowl, which is enough to start and run it til the pump pulls the fuel from the tank.
I'd clean out the jets on the carb and check to make sure the choke is closed and opening as it should. If your pulldown unit on the carb is damaged it won't open open the choke when you start from cold.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0 CH Westy project
1985 LT 2.4 D24T Reimo

TheRealExile
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TheRealExile »

Speaking of choke, on my 2.0 CU ....do I need to just turn the key or do I need a tap of the throttle first?

When left a few days it can take time to start especially after rain when just turning the key, single tap on the throttle first and it's much better!

Last few days fires on the 1st turn but it has been warm, maybe old failing plug leads not liking damp 🤔
1980 2.0 CU

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

No idea thats one for sarran. He's the resident air cooled guru. Id assume its a similar starting procedure of press the acelerator pedal once and then start.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0 CH Westy project
1985 LT 2.4 D24T Reimo