1y install last bits!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wookey
80-90 Mem No: 2443

1y install last bits!

Post by wookey »

hi,

the 1.7D is out! :) horray! ive swaped over the engine mounts, alt water pump. The new clutch is on, lucky i spotted the leaking g'box seal.. ill get a new one tomorrow.. anyhoo the qwestions..

Exhaust. The 1.7 flange is alot smaller than the 1y mainfold.. what should i do? put the 1.7 exhaust manifold on ? or do i have to make my own downpipe adaptor from a 1y down pipe? help!

number two. I cannot undo the bottom bolt to change the pulley/drive belt. i was thinking i'll put the engine in then try it again. im hoping a mate on the breaks and it in gear will lock it up enough to undo it with a bar.

any helps greatly received, ta

wookey

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Yes fit 1.7 exhaust manifold.

The bottom pulley bolt will be tight, it should be possible to jam flywheel and then undo the bolt, failing this your idea will work. Make sure you renew the bolt and the crank pulley and tighten to 90nm + 90 degree turn, or engine could/will expire at some point in the near future.

wookey

Post by wookey »

ok done that, thanks very very muchly. engine is almost in, given up 1am! neighnors are very very tolernat.. feel i have to buy alot of wine to say thanks!

last last question.. i really hope...

inlet manifold...! have i really screwed up leaving the 1y inlet manifold on? its touching the body at the back.. so is caressing the body with a hammer a good idea and make it fit or two cut chop it off and put the 1.7 mainfold on?

the only reason i kept the 1y manifold was that i thought the port shapes are different! :(

thanks guys

wookey

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Swap the 1Z inlet for the 1.7D manifold and 'port' the 1.7 manifold to suit the 1Y engine.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Hairbear

Post by Hairbear »

We left both manifolds on. Just a little clearencing of nsr chassis rail / engine bay required. Thought this would be best - just got to sort an air filter for it now.

Exhaust - not attempted yet but was hoping to make a link pipe from 1Y manifold to JX silencer.

Just wiring, exhaust and air filter to sort now but got broken foot so will be a little while yet!

Any comments about making work for myself appreciated!

Gareth

wookey

Post by wookey »

same, think im ready to fire her up. now. gave up trying to get it done for the holidays. bit stuck about the top of the fuel pump. its slighly larger. if anyone knows what to do?

is it possiblr to swap the acclerater ams springs etc over? or shoud i cut the extra space needed out the engine lid!

ta wookey

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Cut it out, if you read around this Tech forum, there are plenty of mentions of how much is needed (an inch, barely the thickness of the cover)... look for AAZ/ any TD engine conversion topics etc,
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Its all been on here, so will have to dig it out for you as there seems nothing in the Wiki on T25 Alt Engines - Diesel 1.9. THough look in WEiki on Golf GTi - very similar

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php?ti ... e_Golf_GTI

Please turn the CAPS LOCK off when you type, its considered shouting about, and put your location in your profile please, just for an idea where you are, thanks :)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

oldiguana
80-90 Mem No: 2720

Post by oldiguana »

eyup wookey,when i banged my 1y in i modified the top of the pump arm to clear rather than the lid,if you remove the top part of the lever(i didnt need mine)and lob it,then the lower part of the lever which holds the return spring can be chopped and a longer arm to accept the throttle cable can be welded on,dont suppose you are anywhere close are you,it doesnt say on your thread.....if yuore struggling i could cry n sort out a pic for you duck............regards
.membership no 2720

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i turned the fuel inlet banjo around and bent the 1y accelerator mechanism down with some force, clearance was ok.. but then again i didnt even know they did a 1.6 watercooled. did they? markyt.

oldiguana

Post by oldiguana »

ah duck,same as the old vw caddy pick ups and old jettas i think,didnt fancy another tired and knackered 1.6 so thats why i opted for the 1.9,and it pulls as well as marladys golf,with the same engine??and mine was out of a 94 golf so loads of engine life left to be used and abused!!......seasons greetings.......oldiguana
.membership no 2720

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i think he said 1.6 "petrol" watercooled. is that a mistake, i may be wrong???

oldiguana

Post by oldiguana »

been on the ale ow day owd duck so who knows...cant see any referance to petrol owd blade!probably mar mistake.looking through whisky eyes...................those who know me know why,those who dont will learn,just as long as nobody wants to arm wrestle for it!"!!!!!....................................................................................................................................merry christmas to all..........................t25 newcastle brown bladderd,noisy kids,elvis,rock n roll.......newky brown........................................................
.membership no 2720