Front wheels very hot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Spailpin Fanach
80-90 Mem No: 17276

Front wheels very hot

Post by Spailpin Fanach »

Hi
I went for a 150km run yesterday up narrow, winding roads. When I got back home, I noticed that both front wheel hubs were hot enough to fry eggs on. The rear two were cool to the touch. 
I used the brakes a fair bit and they seemed to work OK. Athough, near the end of the trip, I noticed that the brake pedal didn't depress as far as usual, as if there was a resistance or as if the handbrake was on. 
Any advice? 
Thanks 
Brian  :?: ​​​​​​
1989 LHD VW T3/Type25 (1999 1.9 GTi AGG Petrol conversion 2024) Westfalia California poptop, 5-speed. 

There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Front wheels very hot

Post by davidoft1 »

Sounds like your brakes got hot with use

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Or they're dragging a bit, let them cool down then see if they spin easily or still binding.

Piston could be stuck in which case a strip down could be in order, easier to replace with a new caliper sometimes.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Spailpin Fanach

shepster wrote: 21 May 2024, 06:01 Or they're dragging a bit, let them cool down then see if they spin easily or still binding.

Piston could be stuck in which case a strip down could be in order, easier to replace with a new caliper sometimes.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. 

What would you recommend I replace to bring the front brakes up to spec and eliminate potential problems in the future. 
1989 LHD VW T3/Type25 (1999 1.9 GTi AGG Petrol conversion 2024) Westfalia California poptop, 5-speed. 

Spailpin Fanach

davidoft1 wrote: 20 May 2024, 23:08 Sounds like your brakes got hot with use

There's hot and there's HOT. Mine are the latter. 

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BigBlueVan »

Spailpin Fanach wrote: 21 May 2024, 06:55
shepster wrote: 21 May 2024, 06:01 Or they're dragging a bit, let them cool down then see if they spin easily or still binding.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. 

What would you recommend I replace to bring the front brakes up to spec and eliminate potential problems in the future. 
You need to establish what Brake system you have.
as your van is 1989 this will be "Late" type, whereby the caliper would be a single piston floating type.
This will then either be the Girling or ATE type. I believe both types would have the manufacturer name stamped in the casting, if they have been replaced previously with aftermarket versions this may not be present.

I have 2 Girling floating calipers available if of interest.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Or your front wheel bearings are done up too tight?

3 thou' endfloat when cold (0.07mm)

Rusty84
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rusty84 »

Does anyone know what acceptable temperatures might be?

I've just given mine a pretty thorough resto after having stored it for 10 years (replaced bearings, discs, calipers, drum and cylinders etc etc).

When i first took it out i could feel play in the wheels and i'd been a bit cautious tightening up the front bearings - i knew i probably had so  planned to check them after the first trip anyway. I jacked it up and tightened until couldn't move the thrust washer with a screwdriver, then backed it off slightly until i could just move it (having given them a good spin between). There's definitely no movement in them but still spin freely.

Having done a 20 mile journey i got out and felt the hubs to see if they were over heating (to check if i'd over tightened) and they were definitely hot. I tried the rears and only one of those was hot - perhaps i hadn't adjusted the cold rear wheel drums out enough?

I went into work and grabbed the flir camera, got ambushed by a colleague on the way out so didn't get to check temps for about 10 mins but the reults were: Both fronts 41C, N/S rear 27C, O/S rear 40C.

Doesn't tell us much except the rears are set up inconsistantly.

Will try again after the journey home but has anyone else ever measured the temps??

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Should be able to hold your hand on them, if you can't they're too hot.

I assume you drive other cars? Touch one of the wheels on that to give you an idea.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.