Still Smoking under load

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mick.source
80-90 Mem No: 15219

Still Smoking under load

Post by Mick.source »

Hi all this is my last chance of solving this problem before i get a replacement engine.
As you know from previous topic i have rebuilt a JX engine, it starts on the button, ticks over lovely revs without smoke, but when i put my foot down to the floor it goes into a smoking fit, when you stop it carry's on smoking on tick over for some time but eventually clears up until i floor it again. Done another compression test this morning all cylinders at 300, i have ran it with the turbo pipe disconnected still the same. I thought i had solved it when i striped the engine last year and found 3 broken exhaust springs replaced all springs still the same. Still cant work out if the smoke is oil, fuel or water, my theory is if it was water it would be doing it all the time and i have changed the head gasket, could it be the fuel pump?
Or could it be blow by?
Bloody thing is doing my head in, any comments would be gratefully received.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Still Smoking under load

Post by Robsey »

Basic rule of thumb is observing the colour of the smoke.

White 'smoke' would be steam, therefore cooling system.

Blue smoke would be oil related. Stem seals, rings, or turbo.

Black smoke would be over-rich fuelling.
Last edited by Robsey on 21 May 2024, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

I had a similar thing with the turbo on my van. Got quite embarrassing at times. It eventually had a severe, actually a very severe case of overrun which resulted in a new engine and turbo. No smoke now though :D
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

Thanks for your reply
I have run the engine with the turbo pipe disconnected to the inlet manifold still smokes under load.
would the fuel pump create white/grey smoke under load ???
Could it be blow by putting crankcase under pressure then forcing oil into the cylinders????
I have changed the head gasket, but could be a crack???? :oops:

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

disconnecting the turbo from the intake manifold wont stop the turbo leaking into your exhaust and making it smoke like crazy.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I would suspect the LDA on the fuel pump is miss adjusted perhaps

Also Take a look at the inlet pipe work all the way from the rear vents through the air filter , or try taking the air filter out and running without it to see if the smoke clears

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Brickyard- The definitive smokey JX thread.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

White/ grey smoke can also be caused by a dodgy injector.
Had similar issue on a friends Land Rover 300tdi. 
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

multisi wrote: 22 May 2024, 08:44 Brickyard- The definitive smokey JX thread.

It's here:

https://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/the- ... 33228.html
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Looking at your previous posts, it’s blue/white smoke, so oil and water?
Oil from the turbo bearing (which is a plain bearing supplied with copious amounts of oil) leaking into the exhaust and burning off with the heat of the exhaust.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

Thanks for all the comments, to be quite honest i have always thought of oil mixing with the air from the Turbo into the combustion process which would create the smoke. However  i didn't think the oil could go the other way into the exhaust this would explain why it burns on load and on tick over after the load (burning off the oil)
I am in the process of taking the turbo off to have a look inside i assume you wouldn't see any oil within the exhaust side as it would have burnt away?
I plan then to put back together but leave the turbine assembly off but blank off, along with the oil feed and drain  then run it around the block to see if the smoke stops.
Again thanks for your help.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

My JX had really bad light coloured smoke but only when cold, put your foot down and it was like a red arrows display ! but when fully warmed up nothing. I had the turbo checked at that was perfect, looking at the last part of the definitive smokey thread it could well be the fuel pump.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Mick.source

Post by Mick.source »

Morning all here we go, i took the turbo off then blanked the hole, blanked the oil feed and drain, then converted  the air supply straight from the filter, again starts on the button. The turbo did have oil in it but the exhaust side was just black as you would expect. So i drove around the block (approx 1 mile) on the first run not bad, how ever i didn't put my foot to the floor. Second run temp gauge had just crept passed the white area put my foot to the floor, yes it did smoke (If you were driving behind me you would flash your lights) but didn't linger as much once off load. Once the van was hot took it around again all fine until i put my foot to the floor, this time when i stopped it carried on smoking for a bit then cleared. I cant explain the smell of the smoke it smells as if theirs a fire rather than, over-fueling or oil being burnt on combustion, however it does linger in the air for a short time. One thing i thought do you think theirs a build up of oil in the exhaust which starts to smoke when it gets hot????
There are no signs of head gasket leak, no oil in water and no water in the oil, the last compression test i done all cylinders were 300, bearing in mind that its been re-bored new oversize pistons and rings.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Post by dsa »

Had a similar problem last week after putting my van back on the road after some restoration over the winter smoking under load turned out to be collapsed snorkel in the air intake took it off binned it van back to normal no smoking and back to pulling like a train the snorkel was completely flat and had closed at the end up inside the rear quarter

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

dsa wrote: 05 Jun 2024, 17:23 Had a similar problem last week after putting my van back on the road after some restoration over the winter smoking under load turned out to be collapsed snorkel in the air intake took it off binned it van back to normal no smoking and back to pulling like a train the snorkel was completely flat and had closed at the end up inside the rear quarter

I suggested the same earlier in the thread