Steering Wheel Horn Defect.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Steering Wheel Horn Defect.

Post by maxstu »

Having owned my latest camper for just six years', a few days' back l decided to trace and rectify fault with the steering wheel horn; l've used an alternative button on the right part of the dash since buying it.
Checked all the wiring. Cleaned all terminals and contact points. Relay works. Changed horn ring for new and cleaned contact tag. Cleaned earth on steering column and checked continuity.
Yet no response from the PAS horn bar. UNTIL l inadvertantly turned steering (engine running to assist PAS) wheel through an arc while accidentally pressing horn bar and it fired the horn!
Horn does work on steering at these two points and beyond. But not at centre resting point.
What is going on?

Regards
Stuart

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Steering Wheel Horn Defect.

Post by multisi »

Try cleaning the contact points in the horn push unit, one of my vans had an intermittent horn and replacing the horn push solved it, they arent pas specific, they are the same as larger higher spec wheels. Still available new.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Steering Wheel Horn Defect.

Post by maxstu »

multisi wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 12:56 Try cleaning the contact points in the horn push unit, one of my vans had an intermittent horn and replacing the horn push solved it, they arent pas specific, they are the same as larger higher spec wheels. Still available new.

Thanks for coming to the rescue, multisi.
I lightly cleaned up contact points using 1200 grade emery paper. Hoovered it out and still the same.
Not sure where to go with this one? Steering between 1300 and 2300hrs doesn't work horn. Yet turn it passed 180 degrees and all good. Even with steering wheel upside down it works.
Crazy.
So tomorrow am going to invert steering wheel and see what happens.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".