Help and advice on bodywork issues

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Help and advice on bodywork issues

Post by mariner »

Hi. Two years ago I had my van resprayed. Unfortunately, it didn't go too well with a number of significant issues with the initial paint job that were, to some degree, eventually resolved by the bodyshop.

The main issue revolved around peeling/crumpling paint that was apparent as soon as I picked the van up. The bodyshop blamed this on a bad batch of paint from their supplier that had an issue with the hardener. They initially agreed to rub down the paint on the whole of the van back to the primer as the whole van had sprayed using the same batch of paint. They ended up back tracking on this and only rubbing down areas that were visibly an issue at the time.

It was a bruising encounter that was particularly stressful and left me feeling let down - I paid nearly 10k and didn't feel I got a paint job worthy of that. 

Fast forward two years and a large section of paint has literally come away from the body of the van. Tracking around the panel, it is happening in more than one place.

Has anyone had experience of this happening to their van? Is it reasonable to assume this is linked to the issue with the initial paint? I can't imagine this should be happening two years after a respray has been done. The panel in question was a brand new panel that was fitted so was bare metal. 

Thanks to anyone who has more knowledge than me around paintwork and can offer any thoughts.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: Help and advice on bodywork issues

Post by dbz864 »

Is paint lifting all over the van or just on that panel?
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Re: Help and advice on bodywork issues

Post by mariner »

Seems to just be on this panel at the moment. Have agreed with the bodyshop that they will sort it out. Don't have much other choice really. Thanks for the reply.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top