Horn shorting with replacement indicator stalk

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ianders
80-90 Mem No: 13417

Horn shorting with replacement indicator stalk

Post by ianders »

Wondering if it's just a poor quality aftermarket part but I'm having some issues with the horn which has become a corner detector. Seems the slip ring is shorting against the replacement indicator stalk I got. I replaced the slip ring too to see if that helped but no joy.

Any suggestions for either a decent replacement or a modification to sort?

Stalk - https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/indica ... lk-switch/
Slip ring - https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/horn-r ... 4-lt1-alt/

At the mo I've covered all the protruding metal bits of the stalk with some duct tape and all is OK, but I'm thinking this will just wear away and be a recurring issue.
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Re: Horn shorting with replacement indicator stalk

Post by cobblers »

At the left hand side of the steering column there's an allen bolt that clamps the whole ignition switch casting and stalks assembly onto the column.
You can get at it through a hole in the lower cowling. Loosen it and move the ignition switch away from the steering wheel a couple of MM.
You might need to bend the wiper on the stalks back up a little bit.

ianders
80-90 Mem No: 13417

Post by ianders »

cobblers wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 17:24 At the left hand side of the steering column there's an allen bolt that clamps the whole ignition switch casting and stalks assembly onto the column.
You can get at it through a hole in the lower cowling. Loosen it and move the ignition switch away from the steering wheel a couple of MM.
You might need to bend the wiper on the stalks back up a little bit.

Yeah, was trying that yesterday too. Tried bending the metal plate slightly on the indicator stalk too but no joy.

ImageImage

This was it in September so it's still an infinite improvement as it is now...:

I'll maybe wire in a secondary switch as a temporary measure so I can easily disable the horn if it shorts while driving, otherwise I can keep an eye out for a genuine replacement stalk on ebay and the likes.

Have been wondering if I'm missing some sort of spacer/washer between the column and the wheel, as it is now it's bare column (as per pic above), then steering wheel, washer, nut.
1.9 DG 1987 High Top

jacko1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi double check the earth on the steering column I changed mine and the same happened. It was a loose earth on the column.