westy kitchen lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fh9977
80-90 Mem No: 17112

westy kitchen lights

Post by fh9977 »

hi,
would anyone have instructions on how to convert the westy kitchen light into a 12v socket?

light on my fan is factory original: not very bright, consumes a lot of power. My idea is 5o replace the electrics going into the bulb with a 12v socket and usb output so that I could plugin a usb LED light in there.

any ideas?

thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

johnxl
80-90 Mem No: 16948

Re: westy kitchen lights

Post by johnxl »

Just a suggestion. In my Westy I stripped out the original 12v tubes and electronics from the lamps and stuck 2 LED strips on to the original aluminium reflector. 1 LED strip is a "warm" white, the other a "cold" white (i.e., brighter and closer to daylight) with a 3 way rocker switch to choose between the 2 modes, warm for cosy nights or bright white when I need more light during the day.

fh9977
80-90 Mem No: 17112

Post by fh9977 »

thanks - how did you make the electric connections? Is there a guide somewhere that I can take look? Something like that would work as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

johnxl
80-90 Mem No: 16948

Post by johnxl »

The LED strips are used are something like these:
LED OO HO O G QUALITY 9v 12v DC 3528 SUPAFLEX LIGHTING STRIP MODEL RAILWAY GAUGE | eBay
Just measure your reflector and choose the correct length and colour temperature.

The switch is something like this:
12V,24V Blue Led Rocker Switch 7-Pin ON OFF ON DPDT,3-WAY Waterproof Car Boat | eBay

The 2 negative LED leads are connected together and go direct to the original bus negative.
The bus positive goes to the middle pole on the switch, with the positive LED leads going to ether side on the switch.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Just replace the fluorescent tubes with led equivalent tubes - no faffing about
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love