Brake splash plates

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Vwjue73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brake splash plates

Post by Vwjue73 »

Hi I've removed my badly corroded splash plates on the front, the screws are non existent and I can't drill them out .Do you think new ones would stay firmly fixed if they were JB welded on ? Just a thought, your reactions??? Thanks

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Brake splash plates

Post by jrt »

Have you tried a set of damaged screw extractors?
I’ve used them for knackered screws on my scooter but not the van. I haven’t got any front splash plates so maybe I should practice what I preach though :roll:
David.
the future is unwritten

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

jrt wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 19:40 Have you tried a set of damaged screw extractors?
I’ve used them for knackered screws on my scooter but not the van. I haven’t got any front splash plates so maybe I should practice what I preach though :roll:
David.

Never ever use these "pooh" things! They are always glass hard and snap off as they expand the screw thet you will have previously drilled with a pilot hole.
Then you have a hard metal plug jammed into a suspension upright which will require spark eroding to remove. Tears and expense result.
Personally, I'd leave the guards off until you have to do a front end suspension job, then you can do the job properly and easier: drill out the screw remains, tap out the threads, reassemble.

SyncroMatt
80-90 Mem No: 17284

Post by SyncroMatt »

See above. My experience as well.
1987 2.1DJ Caravelle GL Syncro.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

I done this earlier this year. The old ones were like biscuits.

Best tool for these vans is a blow torch and plus gas when working on old bolts.

Heated mine.

Then a set of self locking pliers and the bolt was out.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

silverbullet wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 13:31
jrt wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 19:40 Have you tried a set of damaged screw extractors?
David.

Never ever use these "pooh" things! They are always glass hard and snap off as they expand the screw thet you will have previously drilled with a pilot hole.
Then you have a hard metal plug jammed into a suspension upright which will require spark eroding to remove. Tears and expense result.
Personally, I'd leave the guards off until you have to do a front end suspension job, then you can do the job properly and easier: drill out the screw remains, tap out the threads, reassemble.

EXACTLY THAT.

If a head has sheared, there is no way a flimsy extractor will work.

I had one snap in a drilled hole - engineer job to get it out.

Plusgas and blow torch all the way for old bolts a few times/days before attempted removal
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I have only used them on screws with knackered heads and they worked brilliantly, I didn’t know the op had snapped the heads off whatever he was trying to remove.
Please ignore my bobbins advice 👍
David.
the future is unwritten

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

If the screw heads are corroded or the Phillips/PZ drive is mangled, you will have more luck with a set of Irwin Nutbusters. Everyone should have a set in their toolkit.
Always heat and soak and heat and soak and heat before attempting old rusty bolt renoval.
As for glueing them on :rofl

Vwjue73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vwjue73 »

Thanks for the advice everyone, silverbullet will a normal hss drill bit work on low speed?And what material are the stub axles made from ?I am really envious of your knowledge/engine builds etc by the way!thanks again