Brake pedal not returning fully

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Brake pedal not returning fully

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Has anyone had this issue? I’m not sure if it’s always been that way but when adjusting squeaky brakes today, my mate notice the pedal was about an inch short of returning to the top. When we lifted it, the brake pads slacked off a tiny amount. Could this be an issue with the pedal pivot point or maybe the brake cylinder? Cheers, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

airheadboxer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Brake pedal not returning fully

Post by airheadboxer »

Is item 10 (tension spring) broken/missing in this diagram?

I had this on a bay once.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... 721-73000/

1984 DG Autosleeper

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Cheers. I suspect this or I think I seen there is a bush in there that could be worn or even stuck a little. Having looked at the Haynes manual, this seems a rather large job and not one I’m going to undertake until after the summer.

I’ve got pretty good at lifting the brake pedal up with my toes between most brake pedal presses. It’s only catching slightly. Wondering if it’s always done this and I haven’t noticed. Maybe I’ll see better MPG now!

Thanks for the help.

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

airheadboxer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by airheadboxer »

I have to admit I didn't change the spring, I just used a long strong spring between the pedal and the body (the bay spring is under the floor) to pull it back.
I don't have a T25 at the moment so can't picture how/if you might be able to do something similar.
1984 DG Autosleeper

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

That was one option I discussed with my mate, retro fitting a spring. If you have a picture of what you did, that would be appreciated.