Fuel pickup pipe in tank

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mona
80-90 Mem No: 17323

Fuel pickup pipe in tank

Post by Mona »

Hi All,

I had a new fuel tank and lines put in recently, along with a new sender unit, and it seemed to be working fine. Then, with the gauge showing over half full, I ran out of fuel. I filled from a can, then added £30 to the tank and it is now showing almost full.

Does this mean the fuel pickup pipe has shifted? Any other explanation, assuming the sender is correct?

Thanks
1982 1.6 air cooled high top

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Fuel pickup pipe in tank

Post by ajsimmo »

Since fitting the new tank and sender, has the gauge yet shown any lower than just over half? If not, I'd suspect the sender. Maybe the float arm was bent down in the fitting, so still reads high when the float's on the bottom?
One way to find out would be to continue putting fuel in (ouch!) and see how much it takes to fill it after the gauge reads full.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Mona

Post by Mona »

Thanks, yes the gauge does move from empty to nearly full. I thought it was the new fuel pump at first as I was convinced there was fuel in the tank.

If the gauge is correct, does that mean the pickup pipe has moved? I didn't put the tank in, and can't see how/where the pipe is fitted in the tank (on diagrams), or even what type of pipe it is.

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

Post by mike the van »

The fuel pick up pipe is located in the circular ‘dimple’ in the bottom of the tank along with the return pipe, there is I think a baffle plate over the top that covers it, something to do the tanks weird shape and it’s Aircooled heritage. So I think that the pick up pipe is unlikely to have moved. I found this out when I cleaned and sealed the tank and clogged the intake pipe with the sealant :( took a load of prodding with wire to clear it. There is some where on the Samba an image I think of a sectioned vanagon tank. Are the wiring connectors and earth OK?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Could well be the sender. If a late sender is fitted with an early dash, it will run out before you get to reserve.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

bigherb wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 21:30 Could well be the sender. If a late sender is fitted with an early dash, it will run out before you get to reserve.

according to the ETOS parts catalogue sender 251 919 051 E upto chassis number H082433 which is sometime in February 1987
251 919 051 K thereafter
but dash changed a lot earlier, August 1984 I think for later style dash; there were few variants in the very early years
there was a sender variant suffix D, I don't know what it related to though I'm afraid

Mona

Post by Mona »

Thanks for the advice. It is the original 82/83 Aircooled dash, so early I guess.

We used the only sender available, which might be the problem.

It is weird though, it seemed to be working fine for a couple of weeks!