Breaking in a reconditioned engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

campervanster
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 14117

Breaking in a reconditioned engine

Post by campervanster »

Good morning all,

I've had news this morning from the garage that my van is all ready to be picked up today! As soon as I finish work, I'm picking it up and then going to pick up my two boys for the night in the van as a surprise- they've been getting mega excited about having it back!

So the question is, I've never had a reconditioned engine before: is there anything I need to do to break it in or do I just drive as normal?

1987, 1.9 petrol DG engine
Last edited by campervanster on 16 Mar 2017, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Breaking in a reconditioned engine

Post by itchyfeet »

you don't say what engine but my wbx I was reccomended not too high revs for say 100 miles and no constant revs like motorway driving, lots of up and down revs and up and down load for the first few hundred miles, then drive as normal.
change oil at 500 miles
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

^^^wot itchy said^^^
plus avoid full throttle for first 500 miles, then just occasional short bursts of it for another 500 miles, gradually winding up to normal driving.
And avoid labouring it in any gear, ever! It's the worst thing for it - change down and keep in middle of rev range is best.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Gary.
80-90 Mem No: 15521

Post by Gary. »

I had to drive easy for 600 miles, then full oil change & tighten head (I think new gasket). 1.6TD.
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.

tencentlife
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tencentlife »

There's only one opinion that matters on this question and only one set of advisements you should, nay, you MUST follow: THE REBUILDER'S!

I have only ever had to refuse one warranty claim and that was when the installing mechanic ignored my specific instructions and did instead what he preferred to do. He wiped the cam, and the resulting debris trashed most of the engine. My customer had to eat it, because he picked the workshop, not me.

The folks on here are probably fine gentlemen and ladies but none of them are carrying your warranty.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Well, good point TC, but I'd not mentioned that because I thought that would be pretty obvious. I thought he meant subtle finesses of driving style, rather than hard warranty conditions.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

campervanster
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 14117

Post by campervanster »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I picked it up from the garage after work last night! All running beautifully and is so quiet now, I can hardly hear it running!

The garage said to drive it normally but take it back after 1000 miles and they'll do an oil change and do further adjustments if necessary. Not a cheap fix at all but hoping the van's life will be extended by many years!