How to remove pop top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sandancer
80-90 Mem No: 15588

How to remove pop top

Post by sandancer »

I have a 1981 16d T3 pop top with the hydrologic rams front and back, I want to put sound proofing in and replace the missing roof lining, but I want to actually remove just the very top (not the whole top) does anyone know how to do it, any info would be very helpful
Thank you
1981 T3 1.6D holdsworth villa 3
1992 mk1 caddy pickup 1.6D

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: How to remove pop top

Post by dbz864 »

photo may help as there are different roof types
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

sandancer
80-90 Mem No: 15588

Post by sandancer »

hope this is ok
1981 T3 1.6D holdsworth villa 3
1992 mk1 caddy pickup 1.6D

Mickandsej
80-90 Mem No: 15455

Post by Mickandsej »

I've got the same roof (Holdsworth Villa 3) and I once had an Autohomes Kamper pop top. The Autohomes had piano hinges which needed to be removed after the rams as the rams could buckle the structure. Looking at my Villa the sides are attached to the lower section and I would deduce the rams are all that secure the "lid".
You certainly need to do it from fully elevated definitely not half open. I would try and avoid unstitching the fronts/sides as I bet you'll be fighting 20yr old mastic and will struggle to seal it again, and on these you will get wet if you "cock" it up!
Whatever you do, get the weather right and get at least one strong person to help you. Acro props might also help (I used lightweight ceiling props, easily man enough). Try doing it under a frame or even a big tree....
Interestingly I'm looking to change mine to high top as I think the storage might suit us more. Looking into how the lower section is bonded to the van.
Then there's the Subaru conversion planned for the spring!
2002 Toyota Previa micro camper, 2021 Jeep Renegade 3 pot, 1992 Fiat Ducato Murvi LWB hi top