Observation.......damp

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Observation.......damp

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Went to the van this morning which for this area was the coldest morning so far with the heaviest dew on the grass.

Needed to disconnect the battery trickle charger.
The large rear cushion over the engine compartment is protected from the engine cover and floor by a piece of full length , full width, off cut of cushioned vynal flooring.
When I lifted the cushion and pulled back the vynal I found the plastic engine cover to be damp.
This must be due to the moist air rising up through the engine compartment, and the vynal being the thermal break.
The van its self did not show any signs of damp. This area must be prone to rising dampness on these Autumn mornings. If I did not have the vynal in place the bed cushion would of been damp when in contact withe the removable engine cover.
Just posted for information.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Observation.......damp

Post by CovKid »

Not really a suitable substrate beneath bed area anyway. I've tried lots of things but these days I have some heavy ex-military rubber matting I bought at a big steam rally as it almost eliminates engine noise and provides a good insulation layer. On top of that I have a thin layer of carpet to make it a little warmer. From what I can gather ( and ex-royal engineers will probably know), the matting is rated for use where high voltages are present so its chunky stuff.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Would both be quite thick and make the rear cushion higher than the seat when set as a bed.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I suppose its about 8mm thick including carpet layer - if that. I've not noticed any impact on the bed which lies flat in mine anyway. A mattress on vinyl wouldn't be my idea of comfort. I've tried all kinds of things over the years including play-matting. But the military mat has proved to be the best in terms of insulation and noise reduction. In fact the main reason I go to steam rallies is for the stalls which tend to sell more heavy-duty items. You often come across ex-military gear which can be adapted or cut down to suit whatever job you have in mind. Anything less doesn't tend to last long.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.